cold weather heater for the oil or the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Wyoming, I always heated the oil. It seemed to take the strain off the starter and battery when starting in sub-zero temps. Some people swear by the block heaters, but I rather have the oil warm than the coolant.

It's the oil that contributes to cranking problems.
So, I'd heat the oil.
Avoid any weird devices that could cook or bake the oil [too hot locally].

In this part of the planet most farmers heat the coolant with a device that splices into a heater hose...my bud who lived in Alaska says they heat the battery, oil, and water...he says their are even plug-ins at Wal-mart...I dunno...One day when I get a house I will definitely get a Wolverine as of now I don't think the apartment manager would be too happy with an extension cord hanging out of a window so I don't heat any of the fluids...though I do flare my wife's temper quite often...even in the middle of Summer...

Never needed one in Wisconsin. I run synthetic oil that flows to -60F. Starts easy and runs like it does any other time of the year.

ok so, i found a factory installed block heater on my strat that is in one of the freeze plug areas. im wondering if this is at all usefull to me, being in south florida and all. the coldest it ever gets is 40f at night in the dead of winter. and i run 15w40 year round in this car that specs 5w30.
right now my block heater is slightly leaking. theres an oring that i need to replace. this little sucker costs $5 at the dealer, and isnt available through part stores.
i have 2 options, 1 spend the money on a $5 oring, 2 replace the block heater with a factory freeze plug thats $1.49

what say ye bitog men of wisdom! decide the fate of my block heater for me.

the other thing, is evere even a need for a block heater at 40f? being a southern boy, this buisness of "plugging in" an engine ovenite is totally alien to me.

A heater block for a Florida car? Prepare to get ripped on by us northerners.
spankme.gif

Seriously, simplify your car. You don't need one more thing that can go wrong on your car.

Coolant heaters are much more common and easy to install.
It is just not heating the oil in the pan directly - the coolant passages are not near the oil in the pan. Of course it will help and work, it's just inefficient.

But imagine the fuel enrichment period you can miss out on (starry eyed gaze looking off into the distance in day dreaming imagination).

You really do owe it to your ride, you know ..

Do you have access to a power supply near your car? Do you do short trips a lot? Maybe it’s worth it. It would keep the run rich warm-up period short, and increase your oil’s ability to protect your engine by reducing the amount of fuel dumped into the oil.Do you have access to a power supply near your car? Do you do short trips a lot? Maybe it’s worth it. It would keep the run rich warm-up period short, and increase your oil’s ability to protect your engine by reducing the amount of fuel dumped into the oil.

Quote:

A heater block for a Florida car? Prepare to get ripped on by us northerners.
spankme.gif

Seriously, simplify your car. You don't need one more thing that can go wrong on your car.

Wow! a whole 40 degrees?
laugh.gif

Buy that heater if you ever move up north, then you will need it.
cheers.gif

Quote:

the other thing, is evere even a need for a block heater at 40f? being a southern boy, this buisness of "plugging in" an engine ovenite is totally alien to me.

I don't see a need for a heater in your situation. I don't even run my oil pan heater when it is 40F. If you do get a heater, be prepared for the eventuality that someday you will forget to unplug it and will rip the cord out as you drive off.

One factor to consider - the electricity used to keep the oil warm. I wonder how much that would cost per morning.

i decided to toss the block heater and replace it with an oem freeze plug.
i have no intentions of moving north anytime soon. have no reason to even travel north in for forseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back