Cold weather and DOT4-LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now understand why VW and other manufacturers use DOT4-LV. This fall I flushed the brakes of my GTI with Valvoline DOT3/4 as PM. Since it's been brutally cold here in WI for the last week or so my clutch action has been unpredictable, like I'm a novice manual driver.

After some research I learned about low-viscosity brake fluid and bought some Brembo on Amazon. Since it was time to rotate tires I took the extra time to bleed the brakes and clutch. So much fun in the cold!

After the change I notice much improved feel of the clutch, I don't notice much in the brakes but the ABS and stability control should cycle faster with thinner fluid. The different brands of LV say there are no downsides as it still meets DOT4 specs.

According to Pentosin:
DOT4-LV is DOT4 is
Anyone else in cold regions find a difference?

That's different since you have a manual transmission.

You wouldn't even notice it if you had an automatic. Or in a manual that has a separate fluid line for the clutch (some clutches share with the brake fluid, some don't)

Also, in a LV application, you can also use non-silicone DOT 5.1. Wagner Severe Duty, Bosch ESI6, and Ravenol also has a good price on 5,1 on Amazon.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
What benefits would a LV actually have in 'normal' weather?

You would be spending more money on a fluid that would really give no benefit to driving. You would help stimulate the economy.

On my old 08 Passat 6MT, the shop used Motul DOT4 fluid, instead of the usual ATE SL.6 I usually bring in before their updated customer supplied parts policy.

I did notice the ESP was slower to kick in when I was doing Scandinavian flicks in the snow.

I didn't notice anything with the clutch though

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LotI
You would be spending more money on a fluid that would really give no benefit to driving. You would help stimulate the economy.

Why does Ford, for example, spec LV brake fluid on everyday cars like a Fusion then ? Simply to benefit those who have colder temperatures (part of the time) ?

Supposedly it offers better "response" with ABS and traction-control systems (which typically use the ABS system).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by LotI

Why does Ford, for example, spec LV brake fluid on everyday cars like a Fusion then ? Simply to benefit those who have colder temperatures (part of the time) ?

Supposedly it offers better "response" with ABS and traction-control systems (which typically use the ABS system).

He asked about normal temperatures hence my answer. For those of use in regions where the temperature gets below 0F I believe there is a benefit to the ABS/ESC system.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
DOT4-LV is specified for many newer Ford and Lincolns. Motorcraft offers such a fluid.

Some on the Fiesta ST forums have speculated that the LV fluid has some kind of functionality factor in the operation of the (brake system activated) traction/stability control systems as well.

My car does have a shared brake/clutch reservoir, so I am looking for some of the 'higher spec' (bigger wet/dry boiling point) DOT 4 LV fluids out there.
The Bosch stuff, which used to be on the shelves at Vato Zone, was definitely higher level than the Motorcraft fluid as far as boiling points go, but not sure of any others.
21.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by skyactiv
DOT4-LV is specified for many newer Ford and Lincolns. Motorcraft offers such a fluid.

Some on the Fiesta ST forums have speculated that the LV fluid has some kind of functionality factor in the operation of the (brake system activated) traction/stability control systems as well.

My car does have a shared brake/clutch reservoir, so I am looking for some of the 'higher spec' (bigger wet/dry boiling point) DOT 4 LV fluids out there.
The Bosch stuff, which used to be on the shelves at Vato Zone, was definitely higher level than the Motorcraft fluid as far as boiling points go, but not sure of any others.
21.gif

The lower viscosity fluid seems to work better with the ABS HCU that Ford uses. My Mustang has a shared reservoir as well but I have all the parts to divorce them, just need the time and patience to do it.

I just did a flush on my 2015 ford P/U and yes the LV brake fluid is pricy. Just like buying Redline oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back