Cold Brew?

JHZR2 started a thread on this back in 2015, but it quickly evolved into just hot brew that's later cooled to make iced coffee.

That's fine, done it that way many times. But I wanted to ask if anyone is specifically using a dedicated cold brew maker, and what their experiences are - taste, ease of use, ease of cleaning, durability. Amazon is flooded with $20-$30 cold brew makers, some are just simple mason jars with removable filters. Are any of these inexpensive makers worth getting? I suppose given how inexpensive they are, there isn't much harm in trying.

Anyway, do you cold brew? If so, with what?

Friend of mine makes it in a half gallon mason jar and uses basic filters.

Seems like a bit of a mess, but the flavor is great. Not acidic at all, what a treat.

Anything you heat in a coffee maker, then put over ice, is iced coffee, not cold brew.

Cold brew is fresh water, with ground coffee that "marinates" in the fridge for a certain amount of time, then is filtered out.

Again, black no sugar for me.

Seems like a bit of a mess, but the flavor is great. Not acidic at all, what a treat.
From what I understand, one of the main characteristics of cold brew is low acidity. However, I can already achieve low acidity by pulling a short espresso shot (ristretto), which is how I usually make coffee. So I am wondering how much difference I am really going to notice with cold brew, but I am certainly interested in trying it.

I drank it in Japan long ago when it was unheard of here. Now it’s the big thing. It’s actually good in the summer as a alternative to sugary sweet drinks.

Sometimes I just let a cup of coffee cool down and drink it. If one brews lighter roasted beans the flavors seem to really come out when the coffee is cool.

I have tried a couple brands of the bottled stuff in the store. Not worth it for me. I’d rather just make my own.

I bought a Bodum cold brew coffee maker a few years ago at Walmart. You use more coffee for the cold brew process vs hot coffee.

My goal was to mimic a Starbucks Frappuccino. I was sorta close by using International Delight coffee creamers.
My interest in it was short lived and I gave the cold brewer to a family member.

Anything you heat in a coffee maker, then put over ice, is iced coffee, not cold brew.

Cold brew is fresh water, with ground coffee that "marinates" in the fridge for a certain amount of time, then is filtered out.

I have a big mason jar with stainless screen, then a family member gave me a gift of a smaller pourable unit that has a stainless strainer and a gasketed lid.

Neither are a mess in any way. It’s so simple, put a scoop of grounds, let it diffuse for a while, send the grounds to compost. Cleaning is as easy or easier than brewing hot.

You do need to be careful not to put too much in, and to remove the coffee before it gets too strong or too bitter. But overall I love it, it’s how I make coffee (almost only ever drink iced).

I drank it in Japan long ago when it was unheard of here. Now it’s the big thing. It’s actually good in the summer as a alternative to sugary sweet drinks.

Sometimes I just let a cup of coffee cool down and drink it. If one brews lighter roasted beans the flavors seem to really come out when the coffee is cool.

I have tried a couple brands of the bottled stuff in the store. Not worth it for me. I’d rather just make my own.
Wife is hooked on this,
rx2ekbov9kf31.jpg

Before I say anything, I think I should admit that I have never made cold brew coffee. As I understand it, you put ground coffee in water and leave it. for hours. No special equipment is needed. A glass jar sounds good to me. A cafetiere (please excuse the missing accent grave) should work just fine.
And the typical cafetiere incorporates a mesh filter. However, if you have a glass bottle and pour reasonably carefully, you should be able to leave 99.99% of the coffee grounds behind.

Before I say anything, I think I should admit that I have never made cold brew coffee. As I understand it, you put ground coffee in water and leave it. for hours. No special equipment is needed. A glass jar sounds good to me. A cafetiere (please excuse the missing accent grave) should work just fine.
And the typical cafetiere incorporates a mesh filter. However, if you have a glass bottle and pour reasonably carefully, you should be able to leave 99.99% of the coffee grounds behind.
The main benefit that some cold brew makers provide is the ability to easily remove grounds while keeping coffee in place for easy storage, but yeah, it really doesn't require anything complicated.

The only cold brew I regularly make is barley tea. I have made cold-brewed coffee a few times and I noticed I had to use more coffee compared to hot brewing or it would turn out much weaker.

While not dedicated "cold brew" I find the above French Press left in the unpressed state in the fridge overnight (extra grinds of course) delivers!!!!!!! I'm a coffee hound and cold brew is my favorite. Black no sugar!
I got a dedicated "cold brew" maker, and while it's decent, I find my old method of pulling short espresso shots and then mixing it with cold milk and ice faster and better tasting. I think I'll just stick to that. Space in our fridge is at a premium anyway. :)

But I might try the above French press, since it seems well made and is multi-purpose.

It's a legit press. I've been through too many that leak grinds. You aren't kidding when you say space in the fridge is a premium! I have me and 3 kids. We have 2 Fridge's one in the kitchen and another downstairs. Still a premium!

Same here. Mason jar and a screen filter. Simple and it works great. No need to buy a "gizmo" just to soak coffee in water and filter it.

It's a legit press.
How do you use it for hot coffee? Do you transfer all the brewed coffee to a separate container after you press it?

Otherwise, it continues to brew, so each cup you pour gets stronger and more acidic, unless you pour out the entire amount right away.

Back