Coil Packs? for 03'Ford Focus (4 cyl./2.3 Duratec)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While driving, the above vehicle is experiencing a shutoff (idiot lights flash) for a second or two, but then it runs normally again for awhile. The engine has 141 K on the OD, and the spark plugs were replaced at 105 K.

My (non-mechanically inclined) guess is that one or more of the coil packs need to be replaced. Any thoughts on the above situation? Could it be something else?

If my guess is correct, would you order the a set of four coil packs from Amazon ranging in price fro $38 to $60 (not OE). I have a friend who can install them.

If you need new coils, use Motorcraft or Denso.

But to make sure it is the coil, scan for codes, to see which cylinder is misfiring.

For example, if cylinder #1 is misfiring (CEL code P0301), switch the coil with cylinder #2, and then reset the CEL. If you get a misfire on cylinder #2 (code P0302), it means the problems transferred to the other cylinder, which means the coil is bad.

But if the problem remains cylinder #1, then you know it's not the coil
smile.gif

I think it needs more investigative/troubleshooting work before throwing parts at it.

This sounds like a case that using OEM parts isn't giving you the best bang for the buck. I had a coil go bad on my '02 Ford Explorer when it had 70k miles on it. The wrench who fixed it used whatever his part store shipped him. 120k miles later, the aftermarket coil is still doing it's thing. I don't feel OEM parts are always the best choice when they quit before aftermarket parts do.,,

Originally Posted By: Rand
I think it needs more investigative/troubleshooting work before throwing parts at it.

Agreed.

Does this have those spring things between the coil and plug tip?
Often those just need to be replaced, if corroded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back