CNC milling machine replacement MB

Just ordered 2 more boards from Ebay, Biostar K8M800 754 w/ Semperon CPU and does have 30 day money back guarantee, the other is another Biostar but AM2, also K8M800 w/ 8237r southbridge, Athlon 64 CPU, 4gb Kingston ram, this one doesn't accept returns but does show pictures of it working inside of Windows. I also ordered a Corsair 450w PSU just to rule the ones I've been trying. I can try my ddr2 memory tomorrow but honestly I don't see it working.

The seller got back to me on the combo that doesn't work, he said it's a long shot but thinks that maybe my PSU is too large and there isn't enough draw to make it run properly and that this board on draws 30-40w of power that if you're using less than 10% of rated power. I know the Seasonic works with the board that fried because it's the same one and powers on the ATI board. He said he's willing to offer another auction with the PSU for me but I need an SFX type.

Basically wants me to try a 250w-300w PSU. I need to go in the basement and scrounge around, I'm sure I can find the ddr2 with ease but keeping PSU's on hand has never been my strong point.

I've been using PC power supply for all sorts of lab experiment and I've never heard a big power supply won't power a small load and have to downgrade. The only negative is they may not be as efficient.

I've been using PC power supply for all sorts of lab experiment and I've never heard a big power supply won't power a small load and have to downgrade. The only negative is they may not be as efficient.
Yeah me either up until now that is, I could only find a Corsair 650w but it is pre 80+ so it's rather old and this combo is working but I haven't tried the Asus board but will next. I did order another Athena 300w PSU from Amazon this morning and seems to be just a basic unit without 80+ and power saving features.

Attachments

• PXL_20211013_202716221.jpg
    PXL_20211013_202716221.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 9
I just tried the Asus board and it works and also boots to the main screen. I'm going with the AM2 first as it's newer and faster but keep this one for a spare so I guess that it really is just the PSU and that other board probably would've worked.

Actually now that I've had time to think on it I think what really happened is that both the Seasonic & Silverstone are defective... it doesn't explain why the Ati board works but then none of the other boards do. The new Corsair should come sometime soon, I ordered that from Newegg and chose faster shipping but will be able to bench test it as I have been doing, the Athena should come Saturday.

My test bench is still setup and I left the working Corsair from today.

Yeah me either up until now that is, I could only find a Corsair 650w but it is pre 80+ so it's rather old and this combo is working but I haven't tried the Asus board but will next. I did order another Athena 300w PSU from Amazon this morning and seems to be just a basic unit without 80+ and power saving features.
Great to hear!

Great to hear!
Just received tracking for the Corsair from the Egg and shows it will come Friday and if so I'll use that instead of the Athena and keep that one as a spare but should be able to try out both of those before installing into the machine.

I just learned that another PC at work uses the same Msi board... well I'm like 90% sure but if so then I can easily upgrade that one from 754 to AM2 as well, I mentioned earlier that I got another one coming that comes with an Athlon 64 & 4gb Kingston memory. We use old software called Q&A but it's Dos based and I've mostly used either Windows ME or XP but since it's a program that runs in Dos at the time I wanted a fast single core cpu since Dos can't use multi core processors but that was awhile back and I wasn't thinking more clearly but that Windows XP obviously can.

I remember ordering a 754 combo from Tiger Direct years ago that included a Semperon and was able to login and check my order history and of all things it's the same board that bit the dust in the CNC, I know the tower case I used was Micro ATX which is what this board is so it's a really good chance that I can use this other combo to upgrade that machine which is an awesome deal for $60 and literally just have to swap out the board and that it will boot right into Windows without any issues. I know right now it has an Athlon 64, 2gb ram and I've installed a cheap Kingston SSD drive.

I just reread my post and meant to say that Dos can only see one thread or core, I was technically wrong when I said it can't use multi core processors, of course it can but will only use the one. I guess at the time I was thinking that Dos only uses the one core anyways and a multi core would've been pointless in that application, it's not even connected online and is only used to keep up with inventory, printing packing lists and invoices. I haven't really checked the specs of the combo that's on the way but either way I'm hoping that it will really wake that SSD up compared to the single core that's in there now.

The K8M800 chipset isn't really worth bragging about, does support ata133 and sata 1 but IDE was on it's last leg long before AM2 came out.

The Corsair 450w came today and everything worked and barely had enough time leftover to install it into the machine but everything is working and we can use it again. I have ordered extra memory from the same seller that will come next week, the combo came with 512mb and when looking up the requirements on CNC Linux it lists the spec of 512mb but also says specs listed are not the absolute minimum but will give reasonable performance.
PXL_20211015_203304208.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211015_210539263.jpg
    PXL_20211015_210539263.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 15
Thought I would update this thread too, I swapped in the AM2 board into the office computer and everything was working fine but the cpu cooler plastic mounting bracket failed and trashed the pc, I ended up swapping the Asus 754 and got that one working again, also the same bracket failed on this machine too... we have another milling machine I thought was 939 but it's AM3 and it just failed like a week or two ago, luckily I had ordered another one of these AM2 combos to have as a spare and AMD used the same mounting brackets for these boards. Luckily I was able to repair that one in time, I was trying to copy a program off to move to another machine and none of the usb ports would work, I even took the back cover off and plugged in directly to the rear ports and still couldn't get it to work, my next step was to power cycle it and it wouldn't power back on which led to even more troubleshooting. I still need to replace the thermal paste, I didn't have any there to use, I ended up using the bracket and the cooler from the AM2, got really lucky on that one and it's still working.

What are the odds of having all 3 of them fail? I've read online that those AMD brackets can fail, I think that I need to either look for other cooler options or at least swap out the mounting brackets for something else.

They are new enough to have shutdown protection at least, I'd have to check the motherboards. It's definitely a serious design flaw from AMD, they are mounted like most PC's with a tower configuration that have the board mounted vertically, if the board was laying down flat like the old desktops it would never be an issue, gravity is constantly trying to pull the cooler down and with the weight of the cpu cooler it can't support it and will eventually break, on all of the brackets the top part failed on the bracket where the cooler latches onto so it just breaks off and the cooler falls.

The board can be removed but is a pain to do so but there might be enough room to slip the bottom plate out without removing it, for some reason they used taller standoffs to mount the board. When I swapped the mounting bracket I was able to use my hand to hold the backplate in place.

They are new enough to have shutdown protection at least, I'd have to check the motherboards. It's definitely a serious design flaw from AMD, they are mounted like most PC's with a tower configuration that have the board mounted vertically, if the board was laying down flat like the old desktops it would never be an issue, gravity is constantly trying to pull the cooler down and with the weight of the cpu cooler it can't support it and will eventually break, on all of the brackets the top part failed on the bracket where the cooler latches onto so it just breaks off and the cooler falls.

The board can be removed but is a pain to do so but there might be enough room to slip the bottom plate out without removing it, for some reason they used taller standoffs to mount the board. When I swapped the mounting bracket I was able to use my hand to hold the backplate in place.
IIRC, Corsair or Thermaltake made (make?) replacement HSF's that come with their own bracket that goes on the back of the board (assuming this socket has through-holes near it).

Yes they look like these, but the actual bottom plate I'm working with is made of metal but the top part is plastic. For my PC builds I mostly use Noctua coolers, they are a bit more expensive but build quality is top notch.

41ii+EuiWzL._AC_SY1000.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

i know that my Cooler master 212 hyper has an X bracket that screws in directly into the mounting plate using stand offs, not needing the plastic brackets. But I’m not sure you can get these old coolers. Another option is to buy new plastic brackets and keep the old cooler.

Last edited:
Ugh. I'm all for tinkering with old hardware but it frustrates me that you need to screw with this thing like this in order to keep the machine working. There HAS to be a way to put this on newer hardware somehow.

Here is our newest machine, we got it in the Fall of 2021, you can see how thin the control is, you have to unscrew the front panel around the lcd but it comes out and there is literally an Intel NUC mounted inside that runs Windows 10, the only gripe I have with them is that they used a usb 2.0 hub inside and the ports on the side are blue which is usb 3 so they are misleading. I know it doesn't really matter and the programs themselves are tiny basically just text files.

This machine has an automatic tool changer that holds 16.

PXL_20221202_201042146.jpg
PXL_20221202_201011112.jpg
PXL_20221202_200955936.jpg

No clue about anything in this thread but the machine interests me. The machine shop where I worked had rows of CNC machines that were fully enclosed. Is there a reason yours is open? Seems it would be messy.

Back