Club / store tires vs Regularly available models

GM just started their fall tire sale. Conti is $200 off when purchased with a GM card (also Bridgestone, Pirelli, Hankook, and Goodyear). Also, they price-match the lowest local price (Walmart included; I did it last fall). Why not go to them and get it?

I'm getting snow tires this month that way and it's a great deal. Here's the link:

I did this last fall and the rebate was approved in 36 hours and I had the $200 card a few days later. I've never experienced a better rebate, and I really enjoyed the highly professional service at my local Chevrolet dealership (WAY above typical dealer experiences - North Bend Chevrolet, North Bend, WA).

I’ve called A couple local GM shops and they act like this deal is non-existent. I’ll keep trying

This isn't new nor unique to tires.

My anecdote from the late 90s early 2000s was looking for a video camera. Sony offered the same exact camera, save for the model number, to different electronics retailers. I.E. Bestbuy got something like VC-65B and Circuit City got VC-65C. (A totally made up name, but it serves well for the illustration.)

I suspect that each could prevent you from cross shopping as the model numbers were unique to that store. No need to price match when you are the only one who sells that model. Both cameras had the same specs, just a B or C at the end of the model number.

I suspect the same is true for tires. Technically the brand name tire store doesn't have to match the club store price because they are different model products.

That's my theory, FWIW.

Ohh then yeah go that route, probably just a different sku/name to prevent brand dilution. Again my concerns would be finding a tire down the road which isn’t an issue in this case.

My anecdote from the late 90s early 2000s was looking for a video camera. Sony offered the same exact camera, save for the model number, to different electronics retailers. I.E. Bestbuy got something like VC-65B and Circuit City got VC-65C. (A totally made up name, but it serves well for the illustration.)

I suspect that each could prevent you from cross shopping as the model numbers were unique to that store. No need to price match when you are the only one who sells that model. Both cameras had the same specs, just a B or C at the end of the model number.

I suspect the same is true for tires. Technically the brand name tire store doesn't have to match the club store price because they are different model products.

That's my theory, FWIW.

Very likely. It’s that way with mattresses too it seems as we made that purchase a couple years ago.

I’ve called A couple local GM shops and they act like this deal is non-existent. I’ll keep trying

That's weird as GM has been doing it for at least a few years, spring and fall.

I don't know if all dealers are required to honor it (maybe check fine print), but it would be more correct to say "we don't honor that" than "it doesn't exist." ;)

Nope, I figured this out many years ago when one of our kids was a newborn. We were looking for a stroller and were seeing the same one at Walmart, Target, etc. Well, it was cheaper at one store but out of stock so I figured, we'll get the other store to price-match. The p/n at Target, for example, had a "T" on the end while the one at Walmart had a "W" on the end (or something like this). They wouldn't price-match because "it's not the same part number".

Watch out for NTB as they have sales but they are only in stock in certain locations. I went to buy some Michelin tires that were buy 3 get 1 free and was told not in stock but if I drove 20 miles out the way they had one set to which I asked them to get for me. Answer I got was since not normally stocked if they ordered I wouldn't get the sale. Left a negative review then bought at Goodyear which they agreed to honor price on comparable tire since they didn't sale Michelin. Goodyear has my business at least for now.

Back