Closest equivalent to Mazda's Type FL22 Coolant?

Need 2 gals of FL22 for a Charity Case - local cost is almost $60 for 2 gal.

What is the closest aftermarket equivalent? FL22 appears to be a P-HOAT. I also prefer for the color to be the same dark-green.

Zerex Asian, although it's not dark green. Nissan & Mazda are the green PHOATs, although Peak makes a green aftermarket PHOAT too.
The Nissan one is spec'ed for fairly short intervals (similar to 80/90's era "green coolant"), so I don't think it is chemically similar to the Mazda product.

OEM-Extended-Life-GREEN-Antifreeze-Coolant-Concentrate_USA_EN-655x1024.png

us_888418_zerex_asian_vehicle_green_afc_rtu_1gal.jpg

Preview

I agree with the OEM recommendation or Pentosin A2 which is also very similar to FL-22.
I plan on using one or the other in my daughter's CX-30 when the time comes.
I've used the Pentosin A2 (bought on CLEARANCE at AZ for $10 a gallon of concentrate) in a Mazda, a Hyundai and a Kia without issues. Both the A2 and the OEM are concentrates which I prefer for D&R after distilled water flushing.

Last edited:
Can't find the beck/arnley locally anymore since Pepboys closed its parts business around here. Otherswise, you just gotta pay to play. Most green Asian concentrates are $25 a gallon and DI water is 2eha blend.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6304125&jsn=3

Ford dealers might still have some vc-10(a2) in stock... allegedly phased it out for VC-13(g). Check with your local Ford dealerships parts to see if they have any on clearance.

If its a charity case, they shouldn't worry about color much since the aftermarkets just use different dyes among their Asian coolants. Beggars shouldn't be choosey.

What has been stated on this forum in the past is that Ford Specialty Green coolant is the same as Mazda FL22, except in concentrate form rather than pre-mixed with water. Since SG is sold as a concentrate you'd only need to buy one gallon. I personally will be using Peak Final Charge in my Mazda.

1675711326581.png

Zerex Asian Green, Pentofrost A2, Peak OET Asian Green, Recochem OEM brand Asian green

Zerex Asian, although it's not dark green. Nissan & Mazda are the green PHOATs, although Peak makes a green aftermarket PHOAT too.

I have some Zerex Asian green on hand. It looks pretty dark to me :unsure:

What has been stated on this forum in the past is that Ford Specialty Green coolant is the same as Mazda FL22, except in concentrate form rather than pre-mixed with water. Since SG is sold as a concentrate you'd only need to buy one gallon. I personally will be using Peak Final Charge in my Mazda.

View attachment 139173
This has been discontinued. Ford has recommended their new yellow coolant for those applications.

Yo BITOG crew.
I appreciate this thread as I have two Mazdas now with Pentosin A3.
Before it goes stale, might we agree on a definitive list?

Mazda FL22 - P-HOAT - premixed 55/45

Zerex Asian - blue
Peack Original Equipment Asian - green
Pentosin A2 - green and is not premixed
Pentosin A3 - blue, same chemistry as A2 but is 50/50
Ford Specialty Green or Motorcraft Yellow

Yo BITOG crew.

Zerex Asian - blue

there is a Zerex Asian Green :)

Yo BITOG crew.

Zerex Asian - blue
Don’t forget Pentosin A4-premixed Toyota SLLC, pink
It’s in the Corolla in my sig.

My 2014 Mazda3 has its 10th birthday this year so I'll be flushing the coolant. The Mazda OEM FL22 premixed is $19 / gallon from MazdaShopUsa. That's not pricey so why look anywhere else? Zerex is only 1 buck cheaper.

Why look elsewhere? Shipping? Shipping damages/leakage? Taxes?

I look locally. Don't need OE fluids. Its not like Mazda blends it secretly. Any of the similar various brands of Asian coolants can be used.

MC Yellow is Prestone with Cor-Guard. Peak has assured me that 10X is fine for PHOAT applications too, I've been using it without issues so far.
That's assuring to hear. I have a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe that will be getting Peak 10X. It keeps things simple now since we have the two vehicles.

Back