Clear your siphon hole in the toilet

Another plumber awhile back got mixed up and started to pour sulfuric acid (Blastout drain cleaner)in the potty to clean it. Mixed with small amount of water at the bottom of potty..got real hot and cracked the potty...acid ran all over the floor...vapors caught him and almost didnt make it out of the bathroom he was working on.

Wholesalers stopped selling it..insurance company issue..
That's interesting, never heard of such a thing.

Newer toilets don't usually have that hole. Not sure when they stopped making toilets with them, probably about the time that the low water use toilets became mandatory.
I believe it was around the time manufacturers started laying claims to being able to flush masses of ping pong balls down their crappers with ease.

I couldn't believe it!
Taking the OP's advice, I checked my toilet's siphon hole last night and it had a huge accumulation of water crust.
I was able to pick out a bunch of it with a screwdriver. I sent CLR down the overflow pipe too and it dislodged a buncha hunks of water residue.
I'll reach farther up the hole today with a stainless steel rib salvaged from old windshield wipers.

Just want to thank the "OP". My 40 year old toilet has been sluggish flushing for a while, often needing two flushes. Read this thread, got to checking and sure enough the water "siphon" hole as well as the 16 little water jets under the rim were partially clogged. Used the Zep brand of "CLR" in a spray bottle around under the rim to loosen the mineral deposits, and poked a right-angle scribe tool up in the holes to clean them out. Used a piece of 8 Ga wire to clean out the siphon hole. Flushes like a new one now. Thanks again!

Back