Clear Coat Headlamps Q?

I bought a new set, 4 pieces, 2 headlight housings, and 2 parking, turn, and DRL housings for my 2005 Avalanche last month for $68 shipped off eBay. Made the front of my truck look new. They were not OEM but uh....“imported”.

I’ve had good luck with the 3M headlight restore kit (39008) but skipping the final polish step and instead using the 3M clear coat wipes. I apply NuFinish, then about about every 3 months to the lenses.

There is a method of cleaning the inside fog. You must use pure methanol 99.5% or higher purity which you can order on Amazon. The method requires several rinses and is tedious, for a full step by step just Google it. Methanol will not hurt polycarbonate or ABS plastic but it is extremely flammable (burns with an invisible flame) and toxic so PPE is highly recommended. Alot of members on the GTO forums have done this because new headlamps for GTO's if you can find them are $1000.00 each.

There is a method of cleaning the inside fog. You must use pure methanol 99.5% or higher purity which you can order on Amazon. The method requires several rinses and is tedious, for a full step by step just Google it. Methanol will not hurt polycarbonate or ABS plastic but it is extremely flammable (burns with an invisible flame) and toxic so PPE is highly recommended. Alot of members on the GTO forums have done this because new headlamps for GTO's if you can find them are $1000.00 each.
That method if done to the letter is good, however most people don't have the skill or time to go that route for mass produced headlamp units, that is why I suggested the less tricky mixture of dawn and distilled water or the most practical route which is simply wiping the inside of the lens with that dawn and distilled water the best you can with a swab like tool you can fashion with thin wire from a coat hanger. You won't get all the haze off but if you concentrate on the area where the reflector is you'll increase the brightness of your headlamps at least and cut down on glare for other drivers.

Back