Cleantechnica: Synthetic Fuels Won’t Replace EVs

wemay

Site Donor 2023

IMO: As if current battery technology was easy and clean. Just like I say about EV, give the synthetic fuel developers time to stremline the process and make it more environmentally friendly as well.

Elephant in the room is the massive US Gov't push to EV. Fall 2019 Chevy jumped out and invested massive amounts of money in EV ahead of the presidential election. No way they do that without some form of assurance from big Gov't that this was coming. Hard and fast, prior to the tech catching up is what I'm seeing. CA recent legislation phasing out small gas engines is a part of the big push.

I'd like to see the tech increase so we can have 400 or more miles between charging and a rapid charge system. Infrastructure is still way behind even in more progressive areas.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see cane sugar or corn based product being any better than gasoline. This is obviously an arguable debate. But to me the massive amount of land used for corn alone is environmentally not the best practice. Fertalizer (world has a limited supply of potash for one) and irrigation, run off, etc...

IMHO this is similar to moving from coal fired electric generation to natural gas. Sure, better and cleaner, but not enough and it is not a fix to the issue; it's a band-aid.

This burns 100% renewable fuel, has intelligent AWD, adaptive cruise control, absolutely rust resistant, ABS, off road capable, low emissions, can be operated safely by impaired driver, frequently lasts two decades, slow depreciation, zero expensive electronics, comes in many popular colors AND can be easily recycled;

1634063450595.jpeg

This burns 100% renewable fuel, has intelligent AWD, adaptive cruise control, absolutely rust resistant, ABS, off road capable, low emissions, can be operated safely by impaired driver, frequently lasts two decades, slow depreciation, zero expensive electronics, comes in many popular colors AND can be easily recycled;

View attachment 74205
Do you know why Ferrari uses a horse for their logo? The Ferrari costs quite a bit less to own and maintain and when the Ferrari is broken you don't have to feed it clean up after it and have its toes done.

View attachment 74205

Ridiculous maintenance demands. It'll cost more in regular maintenance than the ride is worth. I know some people beg for their cars to start, but in this case begging may actually do something.

Brazil uses mostly E100 since they can easily make ethanol from sugar. There are already E85 capable engines on the road, so E100 isn't a stretch. :unsure:

I would say that, for those engines running E85, a simple ECU recalibration would make they run normally on E100. The problem would be the cold weather and cold starts for using ethanol. But i think the newest generations of Flex fuel cars around here, already have a heated fuel rail that can address both issues. The previous ones used a cold start reservoir, that would inject gasoline if the temperature was low ( also had a dedicated fuel rail and injectors only for the cold start). Also, engines with less than 10:1 are not very good for E100.

Back