Cleaning the clear plastic gauge faces/dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would those wipes you use to clean LCD computer monitor screens and TV screens (I have some Armor All Tech and screen Wipes I use on my computer) be good to clean the clear plastic that covers your gauges on your car's dash?

I just use a clean, dry, microfiber cloth
confused.gif

Dry microfiber if it's just dust, damp microfiber if it has fingerprints or smudges.

Would getting the microfiber cloth work the best if it's slightly dampened,so the dust won't scratch the surface?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Would getting the microfiber cloth work the best if it's slightly dampened,so the dust won't scratch the surface?

That's what I do
thumbsup2.gif

I always use canned air before wiping with a microfiber and then very light pressure when wiping.

I use those dry "Swifter" wipes. They're great for cleaning the gauge cluster and the entire dash.

aquariuscsm

This is one topic where you should ignore everyone else's recommendations and listen to me.
grin.gif

I use Klearscreen on my car's instrument cluster and it does a FANTASTIC job!!
happy2.gif

It comes with a big 8 ounce bottle of cleaner, and since it sprays a super fine mist, it lasts forever. The chemical does some kind of magic to clear plastic screens that makes it super clean and super clear. It has a wonderful cocobutter aroma too.
grin.gif

The big 16'' x 16'' microfiber cloth is super high quality. If you use it only for plastic screens, I don't see how it could ever wear out. Mine is at least 10 years old and still looks like new. And with this method, it's impossible to scratch the instrument screen. You want something fool proof? This is it.
55.gif

https://www.klearscreen.com/detail.aspx?ID=95

I use the white Meguires Dust Magnet mitt which is microfiber, with some 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Very lightly clean/dust the surface, as the plastic cover can get micro-marring which shows with light angling across it.

Last edited:
Mostly, I just dust mine with a wool duster that I've had since 1985. I am not that fanatical. I just try to keep the dust down, which is not that hard since cabin air filters help a lot with that.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish

This is what I use, and it also does great for touching up the headlight lenses.
thumbsup2.gif

I do want to try that Klearscreen which Merkava4 has suggested though.

I've been using a light mist of Ultimate spray wax for several months on the plastic dash in a Tacoma. It's protective, clean, and repels dust better than anything else I've tried.

The plastic used for the gauge faces is easily scratched. I always use a very mildly damp(never dry) microfiber cloth. I may use a dry microfiber cloth after the damp one in order to remove any streaking/water drying marks.

Tooooo much pressure(elbow grease) may also cause the plastic to scratch so, use caution and light pressure.

I agree with how easily scratched the gauge and radio plastic covers are. How easily differs from car to car. After too many years of mistakes if you want to remove a smudge, I use a soaked microfiber cloth and very light pressure on the smudge only. Even then I STILL end up scratching it. For dusting, I just use the longest napped MF cloth I have which are usually the drying cloths.

However using a dusting Swiffer is starting to seem like a better idea for dust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back