Cleaning Porcelain Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

We remodeled our kitchen a few years ago. Our White Porcelain sink has some staining. Probably from coffee that I dump in. What is the safest way to clean it. I really want to avoid an abrasive clleanser. I have used some denture tabs on occasion. They work..I probably need to use more and keep them in longer. Maybe a day or so.

Other suggestions?

It depends on the cause of the stain.

I would get it really clean with an NaOH based cleaner - which may also get some of the aluminum smears off.

Then for organic stains I would use bleach, and for non aluminun metallic, including iron, an acid solution. Rinse well between and after and be safe.

PZ1020 (google it) is a non-caustic, non-toxic darkroom cleaner (paste) that works well on plastic, glass, ceramic, porcelain and metal. It is very mildly abrasive and doesn't seem to scratch surfaces. You can even clean discolored melamine bowls and utensils (think curry, tomato sauce etc) with it. I clean my sink, my tea and coffee cups with PZ1020. It's also not harsh and won't ruin the skin on your hands. The product does require a bit elbow grease to be effective.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Don't use acid on a porcelain surface.

OK I agree don't use fuming nitric, or HCL/Nitric, or HF acid...but most all Fe stain removers are acidic and won't etch porcelain.

Bleach.
Comet cleanser is mildly abrasive, but you don't have to scrub and scour with it for the bleach to do it's thing. Simply letting it sit when wet on the stain should do it. Maybe a bit of manual agitation also.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Don't use acid on a porcelain surface.

OK I agree don't use fuming nitric, or HCL/Nitric, or HF acid...but most all Fe stain removers are acidic and won't etch porcelain.

I was thinking in terms of locally available to the household, like muriatic acid, even deluted will etch porcelain. Maybe vinegar would work.

A thick baking soda and water paste takes coffee + tea stains (even old ones that can make it through a dishwasher) out of coffee cups instantly. Might be worth a look.

Don't use acid on a porcelain surface. It will etch it. I don't know the best stuff to use, probably some type of bleach. Maybe OxyClean?

It's not an acidic cleaner either. A darkroom cleaner has to be neutral or it might easily contaminate very sensitive processing chemicals when cleaning tanks and rollers in processsors. PZ1020 does do damage. It removes tannin and coffee stains easily and safely. Your average dish detergent is more aggressive.

Most brands of toothpaste work as non-dental cleaners, too.
grin2.gif

try tang, it works great geting iron and food stains out of dishwashers in wellwater areas.

Cant think of much that is simpler or safer.

JMH

what about a "cleaner wax"?

Not harsh enough to screw up the surfaces on your car, but does remove junk.

Unsure of the toxicity of all the components though. Caranuba is used as a food filler, isnt it?

At least you'd have a nice hydrophobic sink surface!

JMH

Comet or the bathroom cleaners with bleach.

Comet or liquid comet tends to work great.

The application of bleach causes considerable quantities of carcinogenic byproducts, mostly in the form of easily inhaled fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back