Cleaning/Polishing Stainless Steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
What is the best,and least expensive thing to use to clean stainless steel?

What is the application? For exhaust I have always preferred wetsanding doing from 300 to 2000 grit in steps. Borla makes a nice polish for stainless.

I have a dixie chopper mower,and there is stainless steel on the mower.

I have a stainless steel door panel on my fridge that is hard to keep clean. Cleaning it it with MMO on ap paper towel is so far the best solution I have found. The towel turns black, even if there is just a few fingerprints so wipe off

Originally Posted By: tom slick
There is no need to clean stainless, do you want to make it look clean and brushed or shine like chrome?

I want it to be clean looking,and shine like chrome!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
For exhaust I have always preferred wetsanding doing from 300 to 2000 grit in steps. Borla makes a nice polish for stainless.

I have given up on trying to keep exhaust clean and shiny.

I now just spray it with the VHT Flameproof primer, with their black satin caliper paint (good for 900*F supposedly) as a top coat, despite it ALL being 304 austenitic.

Easy, NO maintenance, and I cannot stand chrome-like/looking stainless anyway.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Easy, NO maintenance, and I cannot stand chrome-like/looking stainless anyway.
wink.gif

I only like it in certain places. On a nice exhaust I will tolerate it. I did not do any polishing on the '14 Borla catback, just the tips came polished from them and that works. I will have to take the exhasut off the '95 and wetsand it when I get the engine back in.

Bartenders Friend with steel wool 2 years ago. Since then whenever I was the car I put some sealant on the tail pipes and whenever I see grime accumulate just a quick wipe with a rag (no soap or anything).

Doing this they have been shiny for 2 years.

If you want it to shine like chrome then use a dedicated polish like Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Any other type of abrasive substance like scotch brite, stainless wool or even barkeeper's friends is going to leave a hazy finish.

If you need to restore it or take out scratches, follow these instructions (download pdf).
Polishing Stainless Steel and Aluminum

For general maintenance without a real shine, we used to use Bon Ami in the restaurants, just keep with the grain. Baking soda on a damp towel, or carbonated water is also great.

To keep a shine, Meguiar's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back