Cleaning off Anti Seize

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was replacing some disc brake pads and re-lubing caliper slide pins this weekend.

I grabbed my gray jar of Permatex Anti Seize when I should of been using the purple jar of permatex brake part lubricant.

I'm going to clean out the anti seize and use the brake part lubricant.

Any suggestions for cleaning out the anti seize?

I'm thinking shop towels and CRC brake clean spray. thanks.

Anti-seize is petroleum based, so WD-40 will cut right through it no problem. I would just pull the slide pins out and wipe off the anti-seize if it were me. You gotta pull them out to properly grease them anyway. Put grease on the whole pin, including the threaded portion.

I would not use anti-seize on the slides. It will gum them up and dry out.

Use dielectric grease. Its safe for brake rubber and will not dry the same.

I wouldn't use brake clean on the rubber boots. Maybe mineral spirits on a towel. But I imagine those have a lot of the anti-seize.

Opps misread way to quick.

Yea you have to be careful using brake clean. Many of them are just acetone. If you can get the older non-flammable version that should work and not damage anything.

Look at the MSDS and if it says acetone don't use it.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Did you actually read the post? He didn't say he wanted to use anti-seize.
crazy2.gif
Pretty sure you're specifically not supposed to use tune-up grease on caliper pins.

I've coated the pins in the wrong material too by accident. I ended up cleaning everything out with shop towel pieces wrapped around picks stuffed into the slide holes and completely removing the rubber boots from the caliper bracket and cleaning them on the bench. All I can say is good luck.
smile.gif

Additionally, are you sure the purple stuff is supposed to be used on caliper slides? I thought the "green stuff", the ultra disk brake caliper lube or the "red stuff", the silicone formula was supposed to be used there. Maybe I'm a bit too anal about brake lubes. Lexus specifies THREE different lubes when replacing brakes. Ug. What a pain!

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: Jimzz

Did you actually read the post? He didn't say he wanted to use anti-seize.
crazy2.gif
Pretty sure you're specifically not supposed to use tune-up grease on caliper pins.

I've coated the pins in the wrong material too by accident. I ended up cleaning everything out with shop towel pieces wrapped around picks stuffed into the slide holes and completely removing the rubber boots from the caliper bracket and cleaning them on the bench. All I can say is good luck.
smile.gif

Additionally, are you sure the purple stuff is supposed to be used on caliper slides? I thought the "green stuff", the ultra disk brake caliper lube or the "red stuff", the silicone formula was supposed to be used there. Maybe I'm a bit too anal about brake lubes. Lexus specifies THREE different lubes when replacing brakes. Ug. What a pain!

I think the green is a no-go on the rubber, the purple might be ok. I just use silicone paste now.

Thanks, All, for the insight and suggestions.

The purple stuff is OK for slide pins, etc., according top the labels and data sheets

I did check out the TDSs and MDSs to compare the product's uses and compositions.

I think I'll be OK cleaning as much of the gray anti seize off as I can with rags, etc. I don't think it has to be spotless.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back