Clay Mitt's

They are great for doing large areas quickly, and for use with iron removers. When I started using using an iron decon followed by a clay bar, I decided to combine the two. Use the iron decon as the lube for the clay bar, The only problem was the clay bar dissolved in the iron remover. Found the clay mitt suggested by someone here, solved that problem. Now I can take care of two tasks simultaneously and quicker overall.

I found a mitt seemed to work the same/reasonably well compared to a bar on my vehicle. My personal preference Is I prefer the bar. No real reason, other than I just like using it better.

They are great for doing large areas quickly, and for use with iron removers. When I started using using an iron decon followed by a clay bar, I decided to combine the two. Use the iron decon as the lube for the clay bar, The only problem was the clay bar dissolved in the iron remover. Found the clay mitt suggested by someone here, solved that problem. Now I can take care of two tasks simultaneously and quicker overall.
Hi atikovi,

Which mitt was is that didn't dissolve?

61Z9oqn8KkL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Haven't tried a mitt but I use a clay sponge.

I go with a fine grade sponge and I rarely use it because my cars don't frequent clay work. The form factor is nice and easy to use.

Which iron remover did you use?

I prefer clay bars because you can fold them over to create a fresh surface area once they become contaminated after a while. You can't do that with a sponge / glove. I understand you can clean sponges but will it really get that fine spec of something that can scratch your paint?

I just used a mother's speed clay last weekend and i am very happy with how it went and the results. Just doing half the hood and the plastic bag test was an obvious difference. I had been a traditional clay person before this, used many brands over the years, but i have to admit the ease of gripping the sponge style outweighs any advantage of traditional, if there even is one.

First thing I did when we brought home our new Ford Edge at the end of December 2021 was do a full detail. It was delivered via rail and had sit on the dealers lot for three weeks before we purchased it. I too was a traditional clay user but forgot to pick up some at Walmart to keep on hand. Advance Auto was out of traditional clay but did have the Mothers Speed Clay so I gave it a try. I was more than pleased with the results and I was a little apprehensive to start with. I am a habitual clay dropper and it was nice to be able to just clean it well and carry on. As long as it holds up through multiple clayings, I don't see the need for traditional clay going forward.

Great info everyone. I am hesitant about using clay on my car,...afraid I will ruin the clear coat. But my question is,...once you clayed the car what did you put on for protection afterwards? Did you do a full wax and protection, and what did you use?

Great info everyone. I am hesitant about using clay on my car,...afraid I will ruin the clear coat. But my question is,...once you clayed the car what did you put on for protection afterwards? Did you do a full wax and protection, and what did you use?
Clay will create minor marring to the finish, so only clay if needed and follow up with a good polish. Then put down whatever you fancy if you want protection.

Reactions: rcs
Back