Classic Car Filter Change

66 Barracuda. Last oil and filter change (w/ SuperTech) 6/2022. Have driven 1k miles since then. going to change oil but should I change filter? I know 1k miles is minimal but does the 2 years come into play?

sometimes it's a pain to change and even though price is not an issue, I still hate wasting resources if not needed.

66 Barracuda. Last oil and filter change (w/ SuperTech) 6/2022. Have driven 1k miles since then. going to change oil but should I change filter? I know 1k miles is minimal but does the 2 years come into play?
Is it the MP series ST filter? (Blue one I think)
I'd say if you could get an extended mileage type filter then keep it on for 5 years if you'd like. I think the ST to be a decent filter & with just 1k on it I'd see no reason not to run for another year or two. Next go just think about an upgraded filter to run your extended time table.

Is it the MP series ST filter? (Blue one I think)
I'd say if you could get an extended mileage type filter then keep it on for 5 years if you'd like. I think the ST to be a decent filter & with just 1k on it I'd see no reason not to run for another year or two. Next go just think about an upgraded filter to run your extended time table.
Standard ST filter

Maybe take out the filter, drain the oil from it, fill with a little bit of new oil and slosh it around a little bit and dump it out, and then refill it one more time and reinstall.

There, now you can be proud that you didn't waste a perfectly good oil filter!

Theoretically, a partially "loaded up" oil filter (or almost any kind of filter) should work better at filtering than a brand new one would. Eventually it will start filtering too good though and then there won't be enough flow through it (or the bypass will open if it has one, and then you won't get any filtering anymore).

I guess it's a compromise. Which do you want for your engine, better filtering or more flow?

Interestingly, my 2018 CRVs owners manual says to only change the oil filter every other time. Could there actually be some kind of benefit to following this advice, as in maybe brand new filters don't filter as good as partially used up ones do?

Also interesting (since we're really talking about classic cars here), my kid's '68 Beetle (which is 2 years newer than your 'cuda) doesn't even have an oil filter.

Standard ST filter
The only thing that would be of concern to me (although not of much concern) would be the nitrile ADBV getting stiff do to age.
Or if possibly the can begins to rust which probably it won’t for a long time n Florida

I was looking through my owners manual and service manual and they both say every other oil change for the filter
Remember the reason the car company is in business is to sell cars.....Thats my opinion... Fresh oil Fresh filter.....

If you are going through the effort of changing the oil, why skimp on reusing a three dollar filter?

Yes.. What engine is in it ???

IMG_3857.jpeg

Theoretically, a partially "loaded up" oil filter (or almost any kind of filter) should work better at filtering than a brand new one would.
Been proven that oil filters start losing efficiency as they load up. It's a misconception that they "get more efficient" with use. Air filters do, but oil filters don't. The only time oil filters "get more efficient" is basically when they are nearly totally loaded to the point the bypass valve is opening way too much.

Back