CK-4 Oil and Gas Catalyst

Looking through the list that comes up when typing the threat title, the closest thread to the one I'm making was this one: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/sn-ck-4-in-gas-engine.336549/

However, this thread was for a vehicle that had no catalyst on it. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are. In a gas vehicle that burns little to no oil (and I'm not sure it even burns it, it might just leak a bit as I have to add about a quart per 5k), is a non-dual rated CK-4 diesel oil a bad idea with a gas vehicle that still has the catalyst on it? The vehicle in question is my Caravan which is in my sig. I know the issue usually is the concentration of ZDDP in CK-4 oils that do not have the S rating as well.

How likely is it to damage the catalyst? I assume for it to do damage, it has to get to the catalyst in some fashion, which would pretty much mean that the vehicle burns oil, and I would think it would have to burn a good deal of it for it to actually cause an issue. What are your thoughts?

I'm currently running Rotella T5 15w-40 in the van. I have a good bit of Rotella in my stash as well, in T4, T5, and T6 varieties.

Looking through the list that comes up when typing the threat title, the closest thread to the one I'm making was this one: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/sn-ck-4-in-gas-engine.336549/

However, this thread was for a vehicle that had no catalyst on it. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are. In a gas vehicle that burns little to no oil (and I'm not sure it even burns it, it might just leak a bit as I have to add about a quart per 5k), is a non-dual rated CK-4 diesel oil a bad idea with a gas vehicle that still has the catalyst on it? The vehicle in question is my Caravan which is in my sig. I know the issue usually is the concentration of ZDDP in CK-4 oils that do not have the S rating as well.

How likely is it to damage the catalyst? I assume for it to do damage, it has to get to the catalyst in some fashion, which would pretty much mean that the vehicle burns oil, and I would think it would have to burn a good deal of it for it to actually cause an issue. What are your thoughts?

I'm currently running Rotella T5 15w-40 in the van. I have a good bit of Rotella in my stash as well, in T4, T5, and T6 varieties.
I've been running Castrol 15w-40 in my 2gr-fe for 12 years. No problems here. Still has its original catalysts; no trouble codes besides TPMS system.

You answered your own question.

Diesels have emissions systems more sensitive than gas.

As long as you don't have excessive consumption I wouldn't worry.

Doc dpf scr

Why bother when there are perfectly good oils rated for your gas engine?
Greater levels of detergents as well as anti-wear additives. Not only that, but it can be cheaper on a per quart basis, especially with my employee discount at AAP. A 2.5 gal jug of Fram (Amalie) conventional 15w-40 CK-4/SN is around $32 with my discount. From what I've been able to glean, their conventional is actually a syn blend so to me it's worth it. On top of that, my van seems to like the extra viscosity.

Back