civic atf change methods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the drain and fill method is the best way to accomplish a fluid change. The new fluid will liberate contaminents that cling to the surfaces deep inside the transmission. You will have the opportinity to clean the magnet each time and drain anything that may settle to the bottom of the sump.

I do several D&F with cheap Dex, running a month or so inbetween and maybe run some Auto-Rx too. After that, install your prefered fluid.

I wonder if it's just plain silly to move away from the Honda atf when I have 105,000miles on the transmission. Only two drain and fills ever done to it and it runs fine. And the car operates in some pretty severe weather conditions. hmm...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
If it aint broke dont fix it...
+1. 01 Civic, 130k, 3 total drain and fills, Z-1 everytime, no issues.

Several friends with Honda AT's and they do D&F every 30k and no problems at well over 100K. Why people won't trust a manufacturer is beyond me. The Honda AT's that failed were design flaws and fluid has little to do with it. I did not keep my '05 Accord for long but did D&F every 25K and it always shifted NICE. Use Z-1 and Honda will take care of you.

Thanks for the replies. Will probably stick with the Honda stuff just so I know nothing drastic has changed and any problem was probably a problem that was going to happen anyhow. Otherwise if something goes wrong, I'll be wondering if the change in atf was the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back