Replacing ATF: How Many Miles Between Drain And Fills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the change the filter the first time, but only because of the mileage.

I for one do not do the line exchange, I feel it is much more of a hassle, especially if I have a drain plug.
Just much easier to drain and fill than mess with lines, filling and draining (especially if by yourself).

My F150 did not have a drain plug, so I was going to do a filter change the first time anyway (168,000 miles and it had never been changed, filter or fluid). I added a drain plug when I had the pan off.
I did the initial drain and filter change, then did drain and fill @ 500 miles, another drain and fill 1500 miles later, and now do a drain and fill every 10,000 miles on it.
My Scion, I did a drain and fill (came with drain plug) @ 30,000 miles, then did a filter change (and fluid change) @ 50,000 miles. Will do another drain and fill every 25,000 miles from now on (may change the filter @ 100,000 miles because of time, probably another 7-8 years from now).
My Santa Fe and mom's Soul I plan on doing a drain and fill every 25,000 miles (not sure if they have serviceable filters or not, need to look that up).

Here is new fluid compared to the old fluid. The old fluid did not smell burnt, it just was really dark. The vehicle has 110,000 miles on it. I don't thing it had been changed recently, if at all.

[Linked Image from ohiowi.com]

I do a spill and fill every 30K. If the tranny has been neglected, I do 2-3 drain and fills and the subsequent fill is done in 5K.

The new/old fluid mixes as soon as you run and drive the vehicle. If it's my first spill and fill on a new to me used vehicle, I tend to do two or three of them a few days apart, then one every year or so.

did a pan drain and fill on the GX other day 172k looked brown no hint of red...will continue every 10k til the visual improves.

Did the ATF in the Touareg at 80k. Came out dark reddish brown, did a cooler line flush with Maxlife until it came out red.

Then did a pan drop and filter, cleaned the magnets.

I'll do a spill and fill every 20k, since it's only about 4 quarts each time.

I was advised that if a high mileage vehicle has never had an ATF change, a sequence of drain and fills with some driving in between each drain and fill would be less stressful on a neglected transmission rather than replacing all of the fluid at one time. I liked the idea of just doing exchange that some of you mentioned just to get all of the old fluid out in one shot, but wasn't sure if my vehicle's dirty ATF was just a sign of neglect vs normal wear, and therefore requiring a more cautious approach to changing the ATF. The vehicle has 110,000 miles on it. I don't know if that is even considered a high mileage vehicle anymore..

Originally Posted by kc27
I was advised that if a high mileage vehicle has never had an ATF change, a sequence of drain and fills with some driving in between each drain and fill would be less stressful on a neglected transmission rather than replacing all of the fluid at one time. I liked the idea of just doing exchange that some of you mentioned just to get all of the old fluid out in one shot, but wasn't sure if my vehicle's dirty ATF was just a sign of neglect vs normal wear, and therefore requiring a more cautious approach to changing the ATF. The vehicle has 110,000 miles on it. I don't know if that is even considered a high mileage vehicle anymore..

I honestly don't see the difference.

If new fluid causes a failure, it was on its way out anyway...

No need to drop pan - those 20 odd bolts are soft and risk cross threading even for the experienced hands.

Rather do a return line flush by disconnecting at the radiator and flushing through 10Q through the unit

Maxima Guy - what about dropping the pan to change the automatic transmission's filter and to remove whatever the pan magnets have caught?

You will find small amount of paste on the magnets. Nothing more - once cross threaded a bolt and since then never dropped the pan.

IMO if the fluid is changed regularly never need to drop the pan.

Going strong on my Toyota with nearly 200K w/o dropping the pan- as I said you won't find anything worth the effort

If you have a Honda V6 - change that filter. Yes, there is a filter. $12. at 130,000 miles ( I have been doing drain and fills along the way) the tranny started to act like it was gonna give up. I dug in and found the filter - though it is not a Honda maintenance item - and changed it. Fixed that problem. Shifts like a dream now. Shame on Honda for not being clear on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back