Citroen coming to US?

The last time Citroen was in N.A. was in the early '70s with the Citroen SM. A beautiful car with a Maserati engine.
They pulled out because of the new bumper & headlights regulations, it wasn't worth the certification expenses vs the number of sales.
I remember the DS of the '60s, that car rode like you were on a cloud, that suspension was also installed by RR & Bentley.
I had as Peugeot 505 and loved the car, unfortunately Peugeot pulled out and let the sales to Chrysler.
Citroen was always ahead of the trend, it would be nice if they came back.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
I understand that DS is a kind of play on words in French. Pronounced "Deh . Say" Or Godess.

Yes, for the original 1955 DS, a car so advanced for its time that it might as well have been dropped to earth by a spaceship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGOgzy4Tz2c

Over the years I have owned the DS, CX, GS, and SM, every one of them was more advanced to anything on the market at the time. The Citroen suspension is still in use by Audi and RR on some models. Some of the worlds great cars came from Citroen.

The American market has a lot of Choices and really expensive certification processes. Jalopnik posted an article a while back that the Subaru S209 was crazy expensive to certify for the USA market.
Subaru Certification
Citron would have a tough time unless they are able to beat the Germans in reliability and still be competitive on price. Rebadging it would probably be smart. You'd be shocked at how many people didn't know Lexus was owned by Toyota when I sold cars. Citroen would have a tough sell.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Lacking three letters for American success :

SUV

Peugeot and Citroen both have SUV's.

It looks like the product of an Accord and 300 having relations.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
Over the years I have owned the DS, CX, GS, and SM, every one of them was more advanced to anything on the market at the time. The Citroen suspension is still in use by Audi and RR on some models. Some of the worlds great cars came from Citroen.

I was never able to afford the DS, but did have a 2CV and not even a Diane, but the one with canvas seats and springs across
cry.gif

I don't know about all their models but think one of the ugliest cars ever built is a Citroen. Looks like it is dragging its bu tt across the lawn.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by sloinker
I don't know about all their models but think one of the ugliest cars ever built is a Citroen. Looks like it is dragging its bu tt across the lawn.
[Linked Image]

So that's where Chevrolet got the design idea for the Monte Carlo.

Originally Posted by PimTac
[Linked Image]

So that's where Chevrolet got the design idea for the Monte Carlo.

Could be.....and the glass covered grille comes from a mid 60's Chrysler.

Last edited:
Citron was always an extravagate car company, ahead of its time

[Linked Image]

I'd say bring it on!

In the early 60's French terrorists ambushed Charles de Gaulle's Citroen. They shot out all of the windows and one of the tires. The DS hydraulic suspension compensated and carried de Gaulle to safety.

(Supposedly de Gaulle got out of the car, brushed the broken glass off his uniform and casually remarked, "These Algerians are really execrable shots.")

When the SM came out they would take the press around a banked race track at full speed to show off the motor. Then they would do it on three wheels to show off the suspension.

The Citroen is is like the pinnacle of French engineering. The French have a better idea. At least 25% of the ideas actually work.

Originally Posted by miden851
Citron was always an extravagate car company, ahead of its time

[Linked Image]

I'd say bring it on!

thumbsup2.gif

the GTI models have always reminded me of Darth Vader
grin.gif

I actually owned a couple of Peugeot 505s here in the USA and they were both reliable, durable, and comfortable cars.

The biggest enemy of the brands here in the USA were the ignorant, incompetent dealers and lack of properly trained service techs.

We actually had a Peugeot and Citroen dealership in the suburb of Philly (West Chester) PA...John L Smith Motors the Citroens were imported by a company called
CX motors which would modify the cars for US DOT and EPA requirements our local dealership had a decent selection of CX, BX, and even the later XM models as well as
505, 405, and a few privately modified 205 GTI models.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

That is because it is parked... When you start it, the hydraulic suspension rises to driving height. Also adjustable for rough roads.

Back