Citgo Superguard SL 10w-30 Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this an ILSAC GF-3 oil? It has illegal amounts of P if it is. It's not quite 30-weight either if the lab is right.

[ January 10, 2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Thanks for the VOA,,on paper it looks very good for a 89 cent per quart oil
smile.gif
Everyday price here in Oklahoma.

It uses group I+ and group II base stocks and the moly came as a surprise! So does the Vi @ 100c. It should be around 10.2 ?? I would ask them to check on that little problem
smile.gif

Are you going to run a UOA on it ?

[ January 10, 2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I've been buying and using Citgo SuperGard 5W30 and 10W30 intermittently for the last 6+ months - $1.13/qt for me which is not as good a deal as $0.89 but still not too shabby. All the 5W30 and 10W30 bottles I've looked at (I'm in SE Mich) say ILSAC GF-3 certified.

How much moly is 95 units? Is that a lot for a conventional oil?

[ January 10, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: bluedevils ]

95ppm is a pretty decent dose of moly for a low cost oil.

For comparison, Mobil 1 uses about 80-90ppm of moly and Schaeffer oil uses about 170ppm. Most lower cost oils that use moly use about 50-60ppm.

So for a cheap oil, this is good.

That out of grade viscosity is strange though, as this 10w30 oil is actually a 10w20.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

That out of grade viscosity is strange though, as this 10w30 oil is actually a 10w20.

FWIW, I just changed to Citgo Supergard in a Chrysler 3.3L that has been run on Mobil 1 + Amsoil for all of it's 140K miles. I used 3 qrts. of 5w-30 and 2 qrts of 10W-40. From looking at the dash oil pressure guage the viscosity appears MUCH greater at operating temps than what I'm used to seeing with the synthetic's. Was thinking I shouldn't have added the 10w-40 but after seeing the VOA viscosity test now glad I did.

BTW, I made a special trip to a Pep Boys to get the Citgo ($1.19) but noticed yesterday the local supermarket has it on the shelf at $.88 !

Will be interesting to see how this oil performs over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back