Cigarettes today cars tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pray tell, how has that cost the state millions of dollars? Healthcare expenses for state employees? Air filters for state owned HVAC units? Tourism? They should all hit CA back with a countersuit for frivolous lawsuits.

I think this may be a reaction for the car industry filing suit over CA's strict emissions regulations.

... while in the meantime making their levées and dikes higher.
wink.gif

Has anybody thought that nobody from GM, Toyota, or Ford forced the citizens of California to drive a car! The Californians themselves made the choice. They can always ride their bike, ride a horse, walk, or stay home! They only have themselves to sue!

On a larger note, I'm tired of people blaming the automotive industry for all the ills of tailpipe emissions. I often hear this from others from out of state when I present myself as an automotive engineer. It really irks me how close-minded some people can be.

100 years ago, the automobile industry was hailed as a savior because they saved people from all the horrible pollution at the time (horse manure on city streets). Nobody from the automotive industry twisted anybody's arm and forced them to drive cars. They could have remained using their horse and buggy. Our society collectively embraced the automotive lifestyle.

If Californians don't like the products we Americans (and Japanese) put out, let them build their own automotive industry that suits their needs.

Rant off.

I'm sure the automakers would be more than happy to cut the horsepower output of their cars and produce nothing but subcompacts in order to reduce emissions , but we all know the American driving public would raise **** about that. So how is the automaker expected to win?

LOL. BMW was noticably absent from the defendants, guess the AG didn't want to alienate his voter base .....

Seriously, if this thing gets past the 12(B)(6) motion, there could be literally thousands of third party defendants brought in for contribution.

GM, Toyota, Honda, et. al. would be crazy if they do not make everyone else that contributed to the problem pay their fair share.

edit: In a perverse way, California's distaste for Big 3 autos may let the big 3 off cheap. The Japanese / German companies that Californians swoon over may get to foot the bill for this moonbat lawsuit.

[ September 20, 2006, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Win ]

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I think this may be a reaction for the car industry filing suit over CA's strict emissions regulations.

It sounds like the Republicans hired Lockyear to help their campaign.

I think the Auto companies should say OK we see the problem. There will be Zero V8's or SUV's over 3500 lbs sold in California. They put restrictions on the parts availability for said 08 and newer Vehicles in California. Imagine when the CHP finds out that the most powerful engine they can get in their Crown Vics or a Dodge Charger pursuit vehicle is a 200HP V6. Think about it no more brand new stretched limos for the Academy Awards. Imagine how the Hollywood crowd would handle not being able to buy a new SUV (Hummer) or any Luxury car with anything bigger than a 6 cylinder.
Hey it worked for Wally World in Chicago.
They just said they would never build a store with in the city limits of Chicago if the city passed the living wage bill. Mayor Daley saw the writing on the wall and quickly vetoed it.

In a way, it would be poetic justice if California won their suit, then nobody in California could buy cars, because none of the automakers would sell cars in California. What would they do then?

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
In a way, it would be poetic justice if California won their suit, then nobody in California could buy cars, because none of the automakers would sell cars in California. What would they do then?

There would be even more Toyotas and Hondas here because their management is smart enough to not ignore the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world.

That said, the CA Attorny General, Lockyer, is nuts. Der Ahnold must be slipping Lockyer mind altering drugs to get him to do dumb things to improve Republicans chances of getting elected.

My own lungs pump out a fair amount of CO2. Probably I ought not visit California, I wouldn't want to get sued for adding CO2 to the environment.

Maybe Arnold needs to cut the Attorney General's budget and do lay offs at the CA Attorney Gernerals Office to save the taxpayers some money.
They must have too much time on their hands to pull these stupid stunts!

XS650, I wonder how Honda would feel about selling cars to California, since they're also named in the suit, along with Nissan.

This suit is pandering at its worst. Honda and Toyota are the two "greenest" car companies hands down, yet both are named in the suit.

Tell me we don't need tort reform.
mad.gif

I have often wondered if the feds might have backed down on some of the safety and emissions rules proposed and rammed through years ago if the US automakers had made serious threats then to close auto plants and then do that. Maybe ALS's idea of limiting or ending sales of certain vehicles in California is a good one.

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
My own lungs pump out a fair amount of CO2...

That reminded me of an article I read this morning:

quote:

Attorney General's Suit Against Automakers Should Also Name ALL Californians

Humans Emit 2.5 Pounds of CO2, a Greenhouse Gas, Every Day

SACRAMENTO, Calif., Sept. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- All comments may be
attributed to John Merchant, chairman, California Citizens Against Lawsuit
Abuse:

"In his latest crusade, Attorney General Bill Lockyer has decided to
sue automakers, arguing they have created a public nuisance by building
cars - cars which emit greenhouse gases. He's requesting that a jury award
monetary damages as well as attorney fees and costs, but he's missing out
on the really big money with this one.

"The AG's complaint overlooks 36 million other sources of greenhouse
gas emissions -- the human beings occupying California who ought to be sued
for 'negligent breathing.'

"Californians each emit about 2.5 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2 - a
greenhouse gas) every day just by breathing. If you multiply 2.5 pounds of
CO2 per day by 36 million Californians by 365 days, that's more than 16
million tons of CO2 just from breathing. Talk about a public nuisance ...
and don't even get me started on the methane people produce.

"This lawsuit is a public nuisance. Activist attorneys general who
abuse our legal system and impose a system of 'government by lawsuit' to
gain publicity and further their own political agenda do so at the expense
of the people they are paid to represent. Inevitably the costs of
litigation in cases like this will be passed on to consumers in the form of
higher prices. Just what we all need."

SOURCE Citizens Against Lawsuit Abuse http://www.cala.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back