Chrysler Pentastar V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe I am looking at a Chrysler minivan, but I am very tired of removing 2nd row seats from my 01 Honda Odyssey! Found this interesting from Edmunds blog -
New Oil System
Lubrication of the engine is through a variable displacement pump that adjusts the flow rate and pressure to minimize the energy used by the pump. The engine management system determines the oil pressure needs of the engine and commands an electronic solenoid to drive the pump into low or high pressure mode. If the engine is running below 3500 rpm, for example, the pump operates in the low pressure mode to conserve energy. When the engine is operating at more than 3500 rpm, the pump switches to high pressure.

A force balance mechanism inside the oil pump adjusts the size of the pumping chambers to deliver the appropriate oil flow to meet engine demands. If the oil is cold, less oil is needed and the pump reduces the size of the internal chambers. When the oil is hot and gets thinner, more oil is needed. A spring located inside the pump increases the size of the pump chambers. This action helps minimize the amount of energy required to pump the oil.

For consumers, oil changes are simplified with a paper filter located on top of the engine. To help reduce long term environmental impacts, the paper filter can be incinerated rather than disposed in a landfill. Crankcase capacity is six quarts of oil with a filter change. Traditional, non-synthetic motor oil with an ILSAC standard of GF5 is recommended. Change interval is 8000 miles under normal driving conditions.

Engine sounds very interesting.

Any experience with this engine? Comments?

No experience with the new Pentastar, but if its reliability is anything like the 3.3L or 3.8L workhorses that used to be in the vans, it'll be bulletproof. I'm the former owner of two Mopar minivans, so I know all of their quirks. The 2011 models are so mightily improved over the 2010, in terms of interior quality, it's not even funny.

I just went the other way; I sold my '07 Chrysler T&C for a Honda. If you are removing seats all the time, the Stow 'N Go can't be topped.

I'm hoping they offer that engine or its brother in the Jeep Liberty at some point. Having said that I'm waiting on reports on the engine, and hopefully bugs associated with the engine [if any] will be ironed out by then. From what I've read it is supposed to be a very good engine.

I really like our Honda, but ready for a new vehicle and the new Odysseys are so pricey. I don't know how many times I have said never again to Chrysler products....

I said the same thing for years, then bought the Liberty. My wife and I are very pleased with it. My BIL has the 2010 version of what you are looking at, and likes it. The 2011 IMO is much better. I hope this doesn't turn into a Chrysler bashing thread.
27.gif

Chrysler has made some excellent engines over the years...but their A/Ts and other mechanical parts always seemed to be made to a (low) price point.
I'm not sure I would want to be the guinea pig on this new technology either.
Having said that, Honda Odysseys aren't exactly rock solid reliable either.
If I were looking for a minivan, I'd probably shop Kia.

Originally Posted By: John K
I really like our Honda, but ready for a new vehicle and the new Odysseys are so pricey.

Well, I think you get what you pay for. We bought our '07 T&C new, and bought it because of the number of features for the price paid. Leather seats (heated), navigation, power moonroof, rear seat video, power everything, including doors and liftgate. Sticker was $34,500 and we paid $26,500, taxes included, at the end of the 2007 model year. There was no WAY we could have done anything close at Honda or Toyota. We'd have gotten an Odyssey LX or Sienna CE or LE for that price. So we got many more features for the same price with the Chrysler. But, we paid for it in the end, with a number of issues that I've talked about before on this forum and won't go into again. You makes your choices and takes your chances. I'm not mad at the van or at Chrysler, just disappointed that it didn't work out better, because we really liked the van itself.

But. You asked about the engine. I think it looks fantastic. It's well past-due, and should put Chrysler back into the game as far as powertrain performance. It's already seen duty in the Grand Cherokee, and is already starting to prove itself.

I really like our Honda, but ready for a new vehicle and the new Odysseys are so pricey. I don't know how many times I have said never again to Chrysler products....

A fully loaded Odysses is over $40k. I can get a lot of things for $40k

I also like the Dodge van's ability to turn itself into a truck with camper top by stowing all seats under the floor. With the seats up, I can see those spaces as storage for a family on vacation. It would make a great SHTF van as long as the engine and transmission prove themselves.

SHTF??? I am so bad at figuring out stuff like this.....

I'm a master at 1337 sp33k and even I couldn't figure it out.

The oil system sounds relatively complicated for something with such a simple function. I wonder how much savings actually happens. I guess if it runs in fail safe with high pressure mode you are fine. If not catastrophic engine failure or excessive wear.

My only advice is buy slightly used for Caravan's. The initial depreciation is immense making them bargains for the buyer and gut wrenching for the original purchaser.

BMW has a similar system, I wonder if this is Mercedes technology or if it is their own system? I know the relationship is gone now but they still seem to be using the parts and knowledge learned.

Sounds kind of scary. I know I am leery of it in the BMW and also the electric water pumps some of them use. I'm all for technology but in some cases the old stuff just worked so well.

Looks like a nice engine. I'd like to see it in a Liberty. This scares me though, "Direct injection “may be coming.” I hope not, but if it does maybe they'll get it right?
27.gif
Wishful thinking.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
SHTF??? I am so bad at figuring out stuff like this.....

I'm a master at 1337 sp33k and even I couldn't figure it out.

Short for "S(tuff) Hits The Fan." Usually used in relation to self defense or combat type postings. I have no idea as to its use in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back