Chrysler 3.5L SOHC oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
All-
Looking for suggestions. This engine has been somewhat frustrating for me. Chrysler Pacifica in sig. We got the car with I believe 34K on it about 2 years ago. We now have about 63K on it. I maintain it to standard or better. I have replaced one set of rocker arms due to the follower knock issue. The issue with the engine is that is uses a lot of oil. Looks like about 1.5 -2 qts per 3K. Normal driving- 15 minute commutes, occasional highway trips. I change the PCV valve about every 10K- it is always funky- known problem with these engines. Two airfilter changes. Changed the valve cover gasket when I changed the follower assembly. I started off running QSGB 10w-30. Ran rotella 10w30 syn blend for about 10-15K. Have been running Mobil 5000 10w-30 for the last three OCI or so, was running 4-5k intervals, but since my wife is not an oil checker, it was getting run a quart low at times. I shortened the OCI to 3k two OCI ago in order to minimize the possibility of running low. All types of oil seemed to be consumed in approximately equal amounts. Three UOA, one before and two after new rocker assembly. Last one was near normal, first two showed high aluminium. I now check oil level every 500-1000 miles. I have run MOPAR filters, FRAM, Car quest, and a big FL1A trying to keep capacity higher, currently PH16. About 600 miles since I last changed oil, checked oil today and it was down halfway down the normal area on the dipstick from the full mark when the oil was changed. Any suggestions? Chrysler calls for 10w-30, and I have heard some bad things about running 15w-40 in these engines on the police side in chargers. Some fleet maintenance guys had problems grenading engines on 15w-40. Any other viscosity recommended? HM oil maybe? 0w-40? 5w-40?

Personally I'd stay with the 40 wt and go to a 10w40 Valvoline Maxlife high mileage oil for a couple changes. Thats a good deal of consumption. I woonder how those valve stem seals are.

I had the 3.5l in an '07 Charger. Bought it with 26k miles, got rid of it with 65k iirc, it consumed 1qt per 1k miles from day one. Oil type didn't matter; conventional, blend, HM, syn. From the cheapest conventional I could find to Penz Ultra and it's ridiculously low NOACK. Nothing slowed down the consumption. With that being said, I topped it off as needed and never once had a mechanical problem. I learned that it is an extremely common issue with those motors. No real explanation why though.

I'd give 0w40 or 5w40 a shot and see if it slows down the consumption.

Last edited:
I would run an HM 10W-30 in it and just continue to monitor the oil level as you have. I'm not sure that there is anything "wrong" with it. I have had similar experience with some of my dodge/chrysler engines. (2.4, 3.8). some of my dodge engines have been "model citizens" and have not consumed oil; others just like to consume.

My Jeep uses nary a drop but both our other Chryslers do, a 2.4 and a 3.5, nothing out of hand as long as you check every now and then. All of them run fantastic though and have been very reliable engines.

That's normal for that engine. There's not enough baffling in the upper end so you end up consuming some through the PCV system. I have the same engine in my 300 and it has 140,000 miles on it now and has consistently used that much since I got it at 66,000 miles. I just add some every 1,000-1,500 miles. Other than the oil consumption the engine runs perfect.

Thanks all. If anything I may switch the HM 10w-30 if the price is similar. If not, I will stay with the Mobil 5000.

If the previous owner didn't do a good job of maintenance, the piston rings may be sticking. When that happens, the best thing to do is take the spark plugs out and do a piston soak. The directions to do a piston soak are on BITOG, and can be found with a quick search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back