2006 Chrysler 3.5 SOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's pacifica is going through about 1qt every 3k. The car only has about 50k on it. PCV valve was changed about 15k ago. It is currently running QSGB 10w-30, the recommended grade. Has anyone tried a heavier grade with these engines? 10/15w-40 perhaps? Maybe 10w-30 HDEO or High mileage? Not that 1 quart every 3k is excessive, but since we are busy folks and my wife refuses to do any operator maintenance, less oil burning is better. If I give up 1/2mpg or so, I really don't care. I just want to minimize oil burning and keep good longevity. Facts are preferred, opinions backed with experience are welcome!

Im surprised your car is using 10w30 instead of 5w30 or maybe 5w20.Do you see any oil drips on your driveway? check under and around your engine and see if any leaks from valvecover etc.

Start topping off with Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 syn-blend. Worked for me when I started to consume oil on a 1999 Accord 4 cyl.

As a previous owner of a 3.5l equipped car I can chime in here. I bought the vehicle with 26k miles and gave it to my mom with 62k miles. During that time I used both 5w30 and 10w30 to see if that affected consumption. Conventional, synthetic, HM, and HDEO, nothing stopped the consumption. To this day it burns 1qt ever 1k miles. I learned to just live with it and keep an eye on it while running the cheapest conventional that meets the viscosity and specs. Engine still runs strong and shows no signs of pending doom, it currently has 65k miles on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Trade in on a newer model. They come with some additional features. As for the car, I'm sure you could go up a grade. lol

why do you waste your time being retarded?

Originally Posted By: RamFan
As a previous owner of a 3.5l equipped car I can chime in here. I bought the vehicle with 26k miles and gave it to my mom with 62k miles. During that time I used both 5w30 and 10w30 to see if that affected consumption. Conventional, synthetic, HM, and HDEO, nothing stopped the consumption. To this day it burns 1qt ever 1k miles. I learned to just live with it and keep an eye on it while running the cheapest conventional that meets the viscosity and specs. Engine still runs strong and shows no signs of pending doom, it currently has 65k miles on it.

Thanks, I reckon we will live with it.

No leaks. Spec is 10w30. Recently spent a while underneath servicing the transmission. She is dry as a bone underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back