Chrysler 2.7 Burning Oil Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with the 2.7 liter V6. The car has 121,000 miles on it and runs great and luckily has not developed a sludge problem or had coolant in the oil before. Within the last 6 months, after driving the car for a while, it develops a burning oil smell from the left side of the engine, can really smell it in the area of the left front wheel. I am using Valvoline SynPower 5w20 with a K&N Filter. The car does not leak oil and consumes about 1 quart every thousand miles. Does this sound like oil is seeping out of a seal and burning off before it actually drips onto the ground? Would I see a benefit to a high mileage oil at this point? If so, which is the way to go? I know these engines can be tempermental when it comes to oils. Any advice would be appreciated!

This sounds like a weeping valve cover gasket. My Miata just went through this, as after the motor got hot, I got the same burning oil smell. On the exhaust side of the VCG, I saw a large wet patch right above the exhaust manifold. I replaced the VCG, and about 4 days later, no smell
smile.gif
even after some very hard driving. Another dead givaway for a leaking VCG is oil in the spark plug wells, which I also had. Your motor being transversely mounted, it might be a little more difficult to get a good look at all of the gasket mating surfaces. But take a mag light and poke around, chances are you'll find a weeping gasket.

That wouild be the general area of the smell, by the manifold. I just replaced all 6 spark plugs a few weeks ago and there wasnt any oil in the spark plug wells, ill try to get a light back there and see what it looks like.

Hey, I had an 04 limited sebring convert. myself for awhile. It wouldn't hurt to try a HM oil like maxlife, you already using Synpower and walmarts here now carry full syn maxlife at same price.
Mine used about 1qt in 2-3k miles and would smell sometimes in winter with lots of idling and heater on.
I totalled the car or i would still have it,

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
This sounds like a weeping valve cover gasket. My Miata just went through this, as after the motor got hot, I got the same burning oil smell. On the exhaust side of the VCG, I saw a large wet patch right above the exhaust manifold. I replaced the VCG, and about 4 days later, no smell
smile.gif
even after some very hard driving. Another dead givaway for a leaking VCG is oil in the spark plug wells, which I also had. Your motor being transversely mounted, it might be a little more difficult to get a good look at all of the gasket mating surfaces. But take a mag light and poke around, chances are you'll find a weeping gasket.

I had the same problem not too long ago. I have a 3.9 liter V6 in my Dakota, not exactly the same as a 2.7 but I could smell hot oil burning after driving my truck. I had oil collecting in spots on the lower flanges of each valve cover but it was not enough to drip onto the ground.

I replaced both valve cover gaskets and that took care of the problem. Both of my OEM gaskets were blown out in about the same spot on each one. New Felpro gaskets cost me less than $20.00 with an AAP discount code. I also replaced my spark plugs and plug wires for good measure and replaced my cap and rotor too.

One thing I did notice with my truck was a couple of the bolts on the valve covers were a bit loose. Maybe OP could re-torque his bolts, clean up the valve covers and see if that might take care of the problem.

The oil pressure sensor/switch is known to go bad on these engines and they develop an external leak. Easy repair with a $30 dollar part.

However, usually the bad sensor starts to cause the oil pressure light to come on at idle.

Good luck.

Look at your PCV hose too. Just replaces my daughters on her Intrepid and valve cover hose was rotted away with oil trailing down.

Best of luck
Mike

+1 on the PCV hose. BTW these engines aren't that bad if you get one after 2001. We had a 2002 stratus 2.7v-6. Car had 177k when we sold it to our mechanics daughter 2 years ago. She's still driving it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back