Mystery diagnosis: burning wax smell from engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from putting it up on ramps. I found the remains of a plastic bag just back of the cat. So that was the burning smell. I removed what I could of what was left but it's not completely burned off yet.

As far as the coolant, it hasn't changed since I initially thought it had, and now I'm second guessing myself on that too... I suspect nothing changed except my perception. Oh well!

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Check power steering fluid level (hard to do on these engines?) My Monte Carlo had a pinhole leak in the ps lines. It wouldnt leak unless it was under pressure. Didnt figure out the smell until my power steering went dry and it made a rubbing noise while turning.

Power steering level is a PIA on these engines. Its all the way in the back in front of the passenger firewall, lower half of the engine. Need to drop your hand behind the engine and unscrew the cap. I've never been able to do it on the first attempt and usually afterwards my arm hurts from twisting it all retarded.

It's bad, but what is worse is on my fiance's grand am the ATF level check is mid engine driver side. You have to drop your arm about halfway down into the engine bay to unscrew a cap with a meter in it. Have to check it cold, still never get around to it :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back