Chronic and/or endemic issues

Subaru fix for head gaskets was head gasket conditioner (aka Subaru branded stop leak).

My parents have a 2000 Forester since new with 199k with no engine work . Not the common thing . Personally I I wish it blew the engine grenaded years ago because the vehicle is so awful when new and worst with age. They finally got a 2015 Outback and such as pleasant vehicle.

... Pushrod Subarus of the mid-1970s had chronic head-gasket (as well as rocker-arm) disasters, too. ...
My '72 (listed below) didn't have those problems, which began the following year, when they increased the cylinder bore by 3 mm and eliminated a vent hole in the rocker-arm pivots to save cost.

... My parents have a 2000 Forester since new with 199k with no engine work . Not the common thing . ...
Apparently not. A friend of mine had a 2000 Forester from new until it succumbed to head gasket failure at about 100k miles in 2012. He solved that problem by buying a new Forester again. It has been ok so far, except the wheel bearings.

Back