Chrisfix peddling cheap ratchets.

What is the problem?

Where's the evidence that they are "cheap" ratchets? The burden is on us to obtain a set, disassemble them, and compare the craftsmanship and quality to similar ratchets (materials, mechanisms, ratchet play, etc.) Simply comparing on-paper specs of similar items online is not a true comparison. After that we can criticize the value proposition, if necessary.

Finally, I would expect Chris to make profit on this investment. Purchasing a large quantity from a tool suppliers (probably thousands), having the custom logo and case fitted, drop-shipping it to a distributor in the US (that is likely going to want a %), and at the end of the day hoping they all actually sell.
Someone already did that and they are the same as the HF which are under $40 for all 3. Chrisfix is not someone I would watch or pay any attention to.

If you watch to the end, his take is probably the most balanced: they're marked up but everyone should know that -- you buy because you want to support ChrisFix

I've got ratchets like that and they're actually great on a budget. At the ChrisFix price of literally double retail, the budget factor diminishes considerably.

They were also great when I didn't know any better. However once I started using nicer stuff like Proto and Dual 80s, it ruined me. Now the ratchets shown feel heavy, awkward and clunky....but they do get the job done. It's like Chrysler's 4.0 I6: crude, lumbering, never accused of being refined, but will take abuse and never die ;)

If someone has $90 to spend on ratchetS, I'd recommend taking that $90 and buying a single quality ratchet (singular). Repeat next month for a different drive size. And so on.

+1 For under a $100 you can buy Williams round head 72t 1/2 and 3/8 and for a few buck more the long versions if needed.
These are very good ratchets and one of my favorites, the knurling on these is one of the very few that has been done "right" they feel silk smooth but provide good grip and they sell repair kits for these. All made in the USA by Snap on using the original Williams Superratchet design but improved.

If someone has $90 to spend on ratchetS, I'd recommend taking that $90 and buying a single quality ratchet (singular). Repeat next month for a different drive size. And so on.
Maybe I'm just a heathen but my daily drivers are Husky ratchets. I have 144 Tooth and standard and really like them. I also like my Zero Degree ratchets.

I like my Snap-On but they're not really my favorite.

Maybe I'm just a heathen but my daily drivers are Husky ratchets. I have 144 Tooth and standard and really like them. I also like my Zero Degree ratchets.

Nah, I like 144T stuff too, but I think options are limited? I pretty much stick with swivel heads anymore, and slightly longer (like maybe 12-13" in 3/8" dr). But yeah, the 144T stuff is a solid, affordable option.

+1 For under a $100 you can buy Williams round head 72t 1/2 and 3/8 and for a few buck more the long versions if needed.
These are very good ratchets and one of my favorites, the knurling on these is one of the very few that has been done "right" they feel silk smooth but provide good grip and they sell repair kits for these. All made in the USA by Snap on using the original Williams Superratchet design but improved.

Williams are great!

Harbor freight stuff these days is a good value, with exception to their junk line. The Icon line has impressed me quite a bit. Snap on is great, but to expensive.

Not sure if 3/8 and 1/2 144 tooth ratchets can be wailed on. I did buy the 1/4 144 tooth husky, and its pretty nice!

Reactions: D60
Never buy stuff people on YouTube recommend unless it’s filmed poorly by some random guy in tube socks and basketball shorts in his garage, on his phone, and he’s got barely any other videos and <3 subscribers. YouTube influencers will peddle anything, unless you’re an outlier or getting “heated” by the platform I don’t think you make much money from making videos so they promote basically everything. I’m sure many are honest but just a reality of the platform. I’m a home gamer so to be honest anything Pittsburgh level or higher is probably good enough for my actual needs (I do like vintage Craftsman made in USA stuff though)

Back