Chris Economaki: 1920-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, Chris Economaki, aka "The Dean of American Motorsports", passed away yesterday at age 91. What a career he had! Of course he was a huge part of the National Speed Sport News and most of us remember his broadcasting career on television. I know about his many years with ABC but I first saw him on the CBS broadcasts in the mid-80s (mainly NASCAR and IROC) as he called the races alongside Ken Squier. He also joined the ESPN crew for a time when they televised the Formula 1 races in the late 80s. A great man who will be truly missed. Thanks for the wonderful memories Chris, as it was an honor for me during my early years as a race fan to witness your great work, plus your knowledge and vast experience with the sport. RIP and God bless.

When I was younger, I remember he was pretty much the "Cadillac" standard of motorsports commentators. RIP.

Yes, a Jersey native, and one of the MOST all-around knowledgable journalists/announcers in all of motorsport.

He will TRULY be missed, and I HOPE that Mr. Despain does a long and fitting tribute to him on this Sunday's Wind Tunnel show, as Chris was probably one of the main influences to him getting into the 'biz'.

RIP Chris.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back