Chose Fram TG over XG today

Very quickly. I decided to buy a Fram TG over an XG . I did so for three reasons.

The first one was, the TG was I believe one dollar cheaper.

The second was, this particular TG was open in a ripped box, so I could inspect the top. The box advertised Silicone ADBV. It was Orange in color. The box indicated this filter was manufactured in 2019.

Thirdly, the Ultra XG appeared to be the last one on the shelf, and did not appear to be showing off its textured grip.

Here are some photos of what I purchased.

This will be the filter on the car upon arrival to the August event. I did not fully change the oil prior, as one of the reasons I am going is to buy superior product. The HPL event.

Without dominating this discussion, my question to you would be, would you have made the same choice I made? Or would you have gotten the Ultra. And why or why not?

Edit: We could also reference this thread about Fram Extra Guard "best bang for buck" https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...bang-for-your-buck.356356/page-2#post-6153156

20220624_140122.jpg
20220624_140126.jpg

20220624_164509.jpg
20220624_140133.jpg
20220624_140200.jpg
20220624_140242.jpg

Last edited:
What's the date code on the filter? The "2019" on the box has nothing to do with when the filter was made.

I will have to look. I could look up where to find it on the filter

The date code of the one I took off (an Ultra) is A20591.

It is also Orange silicone ADBV.
20220624_171559.jpg

20220624_171506.jpg

It's printed on the can.

It's printed on the can.

You posted before I did. Please see above post or below quotes.

The date code of the one I took off (an Ultra) is A20591.

It is also Orange silicone ADBV.View attachment 105115
View attachment 105113

You posted before I did.
What's the date code on the new TG? Like mentioned, it's not "2019" shown on the box. The 2019 is the copyright date of the printing on the box, nothing to do with production date of the filter.

Are you under cover or something? Why cover up the filter number? Paronoid?

Extremely, and yes. Paranoid, that is. But hey. Thought I could pass it for a 7017 or something lol. Totally irrelevant.

I see I got an Orange Silicone ADBV. This makes me wonder how many more of them there are.

Not trying to dominate in posts, but now I have to wait until I'm back at the vehicle (which is 60 miles away) to get the date code on the NEW filter. And for that, I apologize.

Might send the old one (pictured, covered in oil) to a member here to be cut open, so look for that in the future...

And we should assume that last Ultra will be purchased by the time I have the ability to. Which will leave me purchasing from Amazon. So, question. The TGs and XGs.. are they remaining with the Orange Silicone ADBV? And, even bigger question... For vehicles where it sits vertical, does that make a lick of difference, over an Orange can and Nitrile ADBV?

I detailed my application of changing it a few thousand miles (regular daily use) before the meet in Illinois, would you also have selected a TG or would you have selected something else if it was you and your vehicle.

I detailed my application of changing it a few thousand miles (regular daily use) before the meet in Illinois, would you also have selected a TG or would you have selected something else if it was you and your vehicle.
I presently have TG's on my vehicles.

I am going to use a sharpie and cover up the filter number. I don't want the converter thief to steal my Tough Guards.

Are you under cover or something? Why cover up the filter number? There aren't any filter police present.

Both are good filters. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I do not need to watch soap operas anymore, all I need is to come to this wonderful Forum. LOL

I wish Lee still made Oil Filters, that was my 1st oil filter I fell in love with, but now I use Fram, but everytime I put on an oil filter I think of that silver can oil filter with the Blue lettering that said Lee.

I see I got an Orange Silicone ADBV. This makes me wonder how many more of them there are.

The TGs and XGs.. are they remaining with the Orange Silicone ADBV? And, even bigger question... For vehicles where it sits vertical, does that make a lick of difference, over an Orange can and Nitrile ADBV?
There is zero hard evidence that Fram EGs are now all using nitrile ADBV, same with TGs and XGs. The consensus was the silicone might have been substituted with nitrile for a short time. Even a purple ADBV was found, which supports the theory of supply chain issues.

TG is rated for upto 15,000 miles. You going to drive farther than that before the next oil filter change?

I presently have TG's on my vehicles.

I am going to use a sharpie and cover up the filter number. I don't want the converter thief to steal my Tough Guards.

Color the whole thing in black lol.

There is zero hard evidence that Fram EGs are now all using nitrile ADBV, same with TGs and XGs. The consensus was the silicone might have been substituted with nitrile for a short time. Even a purple ADBV was found, which supports the theory of supply chain issues.

TG is rated for upto 15,000 miles. You going to drive farther than that before the next oil filter change?

Please keep in mind, I'm self-throttling my posts so as not to be excessive. Okay.

Short answer: No, not even close.

Longer answer: Cant wait to get the High Performance Lubricants oil, will be about 5000 miles on this filter before that goes in.. imagining all the amazing stuff will get trapped in the media.

The filter removed (was an XG, or Ultra) could very well have stayed on, sure, but this is in the interest of Let Us See What The Inside looks like after some very varied driving.

I'm also debating on adding Ceratec before switching oil. If that is even necessary . Stuff makes the oil look like milk, which I do not like. But this thread is about the filter.

I'll reply sometime tomorrow.

Color the whole thing in black lol.

Please keep in mind, I'm self-throttling my posts so as not to be excessive. Okay.

Short answer: No, not even close.

Longer answer: Cant wait to get the High Performance Lubricants oil, will be about 5000 miles on this filter before that goes in.. imagining all the amazing stuff will get trapped in the media.

The filter removed (was an XG, or Ultra) could very well have stayed on, sure, but this is in the interest of Let Us See What The Inside looks like after some very varied driving.

I'm also debating on adding Ceratec before switching oil. If that is even necessary . Stuff makes the oil look like milk, which I do not like. But this thread is about the filter.

I'll reply sometime tomorrow.
You are among friends; no need to cover up part/filter #’s 🤣🤣😎

You are among friends; no need to cover up part/filter #’s 🤣🤣😎

Oh... you are too kind. 🤣

Got one for ya today. That's kind of why I forced a filter and not oil change. Oil looked.. well, probably fine, we can't go by that. "Well used." Let me get off here, I'm watching my amount of posts and I need to post more at a later time, I'm all done for today.

Better filters are better but with Jiffy lube oil, and filters and proper maintenance the engine will out last the rest of the vehicle and probably its second owner.

Back