Choosing a clutch kit

When I replace the transmission in my Saturn sl1 I’ll also be installing a new clutch kit. What brand should I go with? Or should I just get one from a part store? On Amazon there is a southeast clutch for $90 rock auto has a lux and and rock auto has an ams brand for around $130-135. There is a mitsoku clutch on eBay for about $85. I’ve never had to replace a clutch on a personal vehicle so I don’t have much personal experience with any of them. I do know I’ve driven cars with clutches that weren’t great from the factory . I actually hated the Dodge Dart clutch our 08 Honda Civic also has a factory clutch that I don’t care much for. It works but it doesn’t bite very hard. I’d like a good feeling long lasting clutch. Thanks for all the help.

Ahhh! the Saturn SL1 Manual. I miss my Saturns. (both of them SL1 & SL2)

While you are in there, replace what you need to, so you dont have to tear it apart again. Im not sure of what clutch brand, but dont go too cheap i know that lol.

I had an 02' SL1 w/manual trans....loved the MPG....hated the low height for exit/entry.

To the OP: What year is yours? I have 4 new fuel injectors you can have cheap but I think they only fit 02' MY.

Ahhh! the Saturn SL1 Manual. I miss my Saturns. (both of them SL1 & SL2)

While you are in there, replace what you need to, so you dont have to tear it apart again. Im not sure of what clutch brand, but dont go too cheap i know that lol.
Yes, especially the throwout bearing. Also the transmission seal.

I had an 02' SL1 w/manual trans....loved the MPG....hated the low height for exit/entry.

To the OP: What year is yours? I have 4 new fuel injectors you can have cheap but I think they only fit 02' MY.
She is an 02 as well.

LuK is ok, you're not adding a bunch of power so as a stock replacement it will be fine. I used one in my 2000 Mustang GT wih no ill effects, just remember to follow the break in proceedure in the instructions.

What was OE? Changing compounds and designs can be a problem, especially if they’re designed for different power levels. I’d probably want to find the Oe supplier if there were no known weaknesses with it.

Last edited:
Use a TES-295 fluid instead of Dexron III in a manual Saturn

Take the flywheel to a machine shop and have it lightened by 10-20%…

Back