Chivalry or overprotective?

I once heard a story for the guys about door locks...

This is before keyless entry and remote controlled door locks.

On a night out...you walk your date to the car. You unlock the door and open it for her. You wait until she is seated and then you close the door.

In most cases, as you are walking around the car to the driver side, your date will just sit there patiently...waiting for you to open your door and get in.

HOWEVER. As you are walking around the car...if she takes the effort to lean over and unlock your door before you get there...she's a keeper.

On a night out...you walk your date to the car. You unlock the door and open it for her. You wait until she is seated and then you close the door.

In most cases, as you are walking around the car to the driver side, your date will just sit there patiently...waiting for you to open your door and get in.

HOWEVER. As you are walking around the car...if she takes the effort to lean over and unlock your door before you get there...she's a keeper.
I once had a date who did the opposite. She locked her door after I left her in. I walked around to the driver's door and she locked mine as well. When she wouldn't let me in, I walked around to back of the car and squatted down behind the car. The back window had external louvers on it (remember those?) and she could not see well out of the back window with it being dark outside. When her patience ran out and she opened her door and headed to the back of the car to look for me I ducked walk around the drivers side and then the front and came up behind her and scared the &%#*@ out of her. She wouldn't admit it, but I think she pee'd in her pants. Yes, I was young and stupid, and needless to say she was NOT a keeper.

I still open the door for my bride every single time I beat her to the car. If she is running behind, I will start the car, and turn on her heated seat, and leave her door open. We have been married 14 years next month.

Me too, and I end by yelling "aren't you ready yet, we're fking late!"

Reactions: wlk
Not sure I’ve ever opened the car door for a date or wife. Maybe if they were unable, broken bone, carrying things, whatever.

But you’d have to know my wife—she’d be upset, not because of women’s lib, but because I wasting time. “Your door is over there, now get in and let’s go already!”

As for doors on a building, I’ll hold the door open for someone behind me, assuming they aren’t more than 10 or so seconds behind me. The more unable they are, the more likely I’m to hold the door open (but let’s face it, that can be offensive to do sometimes). At work I try not to, if only because doors are locked and everyone is required to swipe in—yet some don’t—and I don’t feel like stopping people. [I did once. Afterwards I found out it was a VP. I was told I did the right thing and all, but after that, I decided I’d rather avoid that altogether.]

As portrayed in a very popular gangsta movie.

Not sure I’ve ever opened the car door for a date or wife. Maybe if they were unable, broken bone, carrying things, whatever.

But you’d have to know my wife—she’d be upset, not because of women’s lib, but because I wasting time. “Your door is over there, now get in and let’s go already!”

As for doors on a building, I’ll hold the door open for someone behind me, assuming they aren’t more than 10 or so seconds behind me. The more unable they are, the more likely I’m to hold the door open (but let’s face it, that can be offensive to do sometimes). At work I try not to, if only because doors are locked and everyone is required to swipe in—yet some don’t—and I don’t feel like stopping people. [I did once. Afterwards I found out it was a VP. I was told I did the right thing and all, but after that, I decided I’d rather avoid that altogether.]
Not so sure. Today I was grabbing a few 44lb bags of salt for the softener at Sam’s Club. A guy about mid 70s was shuffling toward me. I asked him if he wanted help. Kinda funny, he flexed and said I’m ok. I’m old but still got it. I replied good to hear. He ended up with a thank you and hey, my brand new granddaughter is keeping me young. Spent a few yapping w him. It was a positive.

Back