Chines made air filters. Am I overthinking?

FRAM; Filtering out the nonsense since 1932. I don't care where their plant happens to be. Just me.

16AFA1B8-0E6C-4366-BF9A-C6BBE670B2F8.png

A few months ago I bought the ST one from Walmart for 11. It was freezing out so the fit was tight. Made in the USA and 30k filter. I passed on the purolator at advanced I think it was. Looked way too flimsy and shabbily built.

Some of those Chinese ones are OK, but I try to stick to OEM filters - Honda OEM filters have dual-density slightly oiled media and Toyota's all-fiber filters are better made than the aftermarket plastic frame ones.

I have a Chinese-made Fram in a Frontier I care for and it's working fine. It was identical to OE Nissan.

That Project Farm you tube video is an eye opener. I thought, based on articles here, that the Fram XG would load the pack. But oh no.
WIX for the win (among easy to find brands).

That Project Farm you tube video is an eye opener. I thought, based on articles here, that the Fram XG would load the pack. But oh no.
WIX for the win (among easy to find brands).
The guy isn’t even using ASTM equipment but everyone thinks his “testing” is somehow valid...🙄 I wouldn’t trust anything he tests regarding automobiles ie motor oil(the guy uses a gear oil pressure testing rig)... he is entertaining, I’ll give him that. And I like his other tests. Automotive tests are complete and total junk science. Period

The guy isn’t even using ASTM equipment but everyone thinks his “testing” is somehow valid...🙄 I wouldn’t trust anything he tests regarding automobiles ie motor oil(the guy uses a gear oil pressure testing rig)... he is entertaining, I’ll give him that. And I like his other tests. Automotive tests are complete and total junk science. Period

I don't think he has ever claimed to have test results that rival ASTM though. His tests are meant to be "good enough for video". And for oil, he does send samples off to Blackstone.

I suspect if ProjectFarm were as technical and stringent as to not garner any criticism from BITOG, then his videos would not be as popular or watchable to the common man.

There has to be a middle ground.

For my Toyotas, I either get OEM (Denso) air filters at a dealership (not really expensive there) or I run WIX. Oil filters I'll run OEM, Fram Ultra or Wix again.

I always chose whatever alternative is manufactured outside of China. I'll pay more for USA, Canada, Europe Mexico

I care a lot about origin and choose to support our national allies, non-state-owned companies and workers in democratic, non-communist countries.
Same here. I'm a DIY'er and chinese products always disappointed me. American made products aren't more expensive in the long run anyway since you worry less and replace less often. Otherwise, I buy from America's allies. MicroGard 10339 is Made in S Korea.

I always chose whatever alternative is manufactured outside of China. I'll pay more for USA, Canada, Europe Mexico

I care a lot about origin and choose to support our national allies, non-state-owned companies and workers in democratic, non-communist countries.

(y)

I own computer and phone hardware made in China because it's near impossible to avoid today. Bad enough. However I'd never ever buy any car parts made in China as I still have the choice and don't remember anything made in China being exceptional quality. That said, China acts aggressively both economical and political. I don't support that.

OEM for the win! :)

As long as it doesn't come from China. :censored:

I’ll buy Fram, just because they’re easy to get. I’ll buy Super Tech at Walmart for the same reasons. I guess I’d probably use most filters except for K&N.

And I’ve read that a “dirty” filter will filter better than a clean filter, which does make sense, but I’ve never attempted it. And I don’t plan to. Lol.

Never have and never will buy any Chine made goods.

You have no smartphone, no computer, no battery chargers, no stereo, no TV?
Even if it's made elsewhere, many if not very most chips, capacitors, panels, PCBs
are likely coming from China if the item is manufactured in the last 20 or 30 years.

Not that I'm happy with that.

2 weeks ago I changed the air filter in my 2018 T4R for the first time. I figured I couldn't go wrong with DENSO, but disappointingly that doesn't appear to be the case.

TOP: Factory air filter 17801-38051. OEM Toyota part, made by DENSO in Japan.

BOTTOM: Replacement air filter 1433025. DENSO branded, but made in China.

20210807_190134.jpg

Wish I had taken a few more photos to capture the details, but the China-made aftermarket DENSO does not have the wavy "vertical" (in this view) pleats which increase both filtration surface area and rigidity, maybe why they needed to add a strip of glue to hold everything together? Also there is a larger pitch / lower density on the 1st-stage "horizontal" pleats, further aggravating that condition. The media on the clean side is of a noticeably different color (doesn't look like just 35 months & 30,000 miles worth discoloration), leading me to believe it may be a different source/formulation/specification.

Back