Chevy 6.5L diesel - why so bad?

Honestly the RPM's he was running it during the testing should not have killed it. What is it with these 6.5L that they are so fragile? I had seen these blow down at our state auction many times during a cold start. Usually because of starting fluid.

I thought these were made in part with Detroit diesel and were actually fully engineered as a diesel from the ground up, and that they do not have gasoline similarities that caused weakness like 350 chevy diesel..

I dont think they are bad at all, many have got serious mileage with them. I say the "issue" is unreasonable expectations.

I used an old track loader on a job site once that had a button on the dash labeled "Ether," so at least some diesel rigs were ok with it. Probably not ones with glow plugs, though
Yes I remember some big air compressors had the same thing with a replaceable ether can.

I had one in a GMC 3500 box truck. No real issues pretty reliable but gutless once under way. A pain to start on a really cold morning took a little while. Not know for power but reliable. I got 200k out of it but tons of idle hours.When it finally died my mechanic put a GM gas used small block in it ran for a few more years.

I always through they are not bad of a diesel, sure old school but good work horses. They are used in the Humvee.

Only issue I can think of now is that parts for some things are getting hard to get. I ran across this with one of my customers that had an Blue Bird short bus converted to an RV that needed a new head gasket…

Detroit Diesel seems strange to me. They figured out the 2 stroke in the 30's and then... what? Just kept making bigger and bigger 2 strokes? Took them a while to figure out the 4 strokes.

Caught a vid last week about the DD 8.2L V8 and it was rather negative about that engine. Forget what it had for problems, too few head bolts, rods too short and thus fast cylinder wear? something like that.

Have to say, the 6.2 goes back to some darker times for power and economy. Meant to be a light duty diesel, back when 55mph was the limit, and people didn't expect to tow at 75mph up Ike's pass. Today they seem about useful as VW's 1.6 IDI (remember those? in the Rabbit and Caddy? slow ride indeed).

The 12.7L Detroit 60 Series is probably the best engine ever designed in it's displacement class!

I used to service a '94 K2500 with the 6.5.

I still remember that vehicle had the most tightly installed oil filter I've encountered yet. Not the fault of the engine but the filter was tucked up at such an odd angle it was very difficult to remove. I don't remember why I didn't or couldn't fit a cup socket on the end of the filter, but I wound up getting very creative.

And yeah, it was difficult to start when cold.

I think this particular truck had been passed around and ran through too much for too long to put any blame on Ivan

GM had a SPA on the injection pump for this truck, which ran out back in 2006
Who knows how many people over the years messed with the injection pump
Wrong PROM/MemCal, who knows 🙄
Plus, that era GM PCM is known to be failure prone with age
I've learned the "tap test"

Judging by this recall on the previous MY, they are very fickle to adjust properly

The lesson Ivan needs to learn is it's OK to turn down work especially if you aren't familiar enough with the vehicle. I have worked on many 6.5 when new and pumps were changed all the time for this reason. Over rev and game over.

Mine still runs.
I rebuilt it in 2009.
But I have all the good parts. 6.2L crank, 6.2l heads, 6.5l block, 6.2l intake manifold, 6.2l db2 injector pump. The turbo and intercooler are what kept it going strong.

The 6.2 and 6.5 were both Detroit Diesel engines. The 6.2 couldn't pull the hat off your head, but it was reliable. From what I understand the 6.5 had casting problems that caused a lot of broken cranks. I'm sure others know more of the story.
Cast iron everywhere.

Forged parts make it much more reliable.

Oddly if you can believe it the 6.6 is a kissing cousin to the 6.5 and has a much better reputation.

So the combustion knock in the video did not seem to be over advanced. Over advanced injection timing will pound out wristpins and also crack pistons over time especially with turbos. So even though clearly the injection pump was bad on his video, I beleive the fuel control portion of that pump was the issue, not the timing portion.

So I ask again, how would starting that engine 50 times have thrown a rod during diagnostics? It did not have a rattle at first.

At least I have seen it with my own eyes, at my state auction the 6.5L engines were one of he hardest engines to start, sounded and ran absolutly terrible (rough), and they knew to retire them at 125k ~ 150k. On the other hand the ford 7.3L powerstrokes all had 175K ~ to 300K and no doubt some were also hard to start and ran terrible, but none of them had bad connecting rods.

The way a diesel should be overbuilt, I would think having a block / crank / connecting rod issue would never occur. Look at all the big greasy detroits that had a cold start with a stuck fuel rack. They were just fine.

From what I heard way back when, Detroit Diesel was asked for design input on the 6.2. After the GM bean counters got through cheapening it up Detroit demanded that their name not be put on the motor.

• Love
Reactions: D60
Back