Chevrolet Volt Manufacturer OCI Instructions. What about the 1 year thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
... The GM OLM algorithm has been discussed on these threads quite a bit, and we know the basic algorithm guts. ...

Do we really "know" or are we merely speculating? My bet is that the algorithm is proprietary and not publicized or even allowed to be discussed by those who do know.

... its a car that almost always takes trips of over 10 miles at a time when it is driven, I see no issue going 2 years on any engine under those circumstances.

Oil on most engines will not come close to operating temperature in ten miles much less be there long enough to evaporate fuel/water.

Originally Posted by doyall
... The GM OLM algorithm has been discussed on these threads quite a bit, and we know the basic algorithm guts. ...
Do we really "know" or are we merely speculating? My bet is that the algorithm is proprietary and not publicized or even allowed to be discussed by those who do know.
It is hard to find. We have some decent basics, with equations used inside the software itself. Click on: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5091779/re-oil-life-monitors#Post5091779 for one example. It cites a PDF file (tech paper) which uncovered the algorithm. It might have changed a little of course over the years, but we can see what they are sensing and calculating.

One change made in the last few years with the newer DI vehicles (soot generators) is the 7,500 mile limit. GM's OLM still calculates its estimate of oil life, but then the hard 7,500 mile limit caps it. Therefore, with rough driving cycles, it is possible the OLM will ask for an oil change sooner. My '18 Equinox's OLM always goes off at 7,500, due to easy driving cycles.

I wonder if the OLM in the Volt is similar to the one in my Corvette, where it will continue to count down even when the car isn't driven? In the Corvette the OLM has a time factor added now, so it will go from 100% to 0% in 365 days, even if you don't drive it at all. But if you drive it during that time, the OLM will count down even faster so then it won't let you hit the one year mark. So if the Volt's system is similar, the only way it would let you go two full years would be if you didn't drive it. So chances are that the OLM will count down to zero closer to the one year mark for most drivers.

Originally Posted by badduxx
... My point was moreso does that mean the 1 year oci recommendation is really not a thing anymore and that in all reality it is safe to use oil with fewer than the oci mileage over the course of 2 years instead of one on other vehicles?
That "thing" was always a gross oversimplification, based on an assumption that a vehicle accumulating less than some mileage limit within one year might be making short trips.

Example: If a little-used vehicle is used only on two 500-mile trips in a year after an oil change, the oil should still be in good shape, compared to oil that makes 500 two-mile trips in a year in a similar vehicle.

Real-world examples are usually between those extremes, making estimating the oil condition more complicated. OLMs are programmed to account for details that typical dumbed-down simplified rules can not.

Last edited:
... It cites a PDF file (tech paper) which uncovered the algorithm. ...

I missed that. Enlightening even without the crucial variables. Thanks.

The OLM runs down to zero in two years regardless of engine use. Don't pay any attention to those with an agenda against GM just like you don't with the Volt naysayers. Check your Chevy dealer for oil changes after the free run out. My GM dealer for $50 does the oil/filter with GM parts, full synthetic oil, multi point inspection, rotate tires, reset tps sensors to match display, and washes the exterior.

(I did not read every word of every post so please forgive if this was stated already.)
The Volt is a series hybrid, where the gas engine is used exclusively for recharging the battery pack, as needed. It is not used to directly drive/propel the vehicle in any way. Because of this exclusive purpose, the gas engine is labeled "1.5L range extender" and likely operates at constant RPMs and relatively light load for battery charging duty, which must have an effect on the maintenance requirements compared to other parallel hybrids (Prius, Insight, etc) where the engine does propel the vehicle as well as charge the battery. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DGXR
(I did not read every word of every post so please forgive if this was stated already.)
The Volt is a series hybrid, where the gas engine is used exclusively for recharging the battery pack, as needed. It is not used to directly drive/propel the vehicle in any way. Because of this exclusive purpose, the gas engine is labeled "1.5L range extender" and likely operates at constant RPMs and relatively light load for battery charging duty, which must have an effect on the maintenance requirements compared to other parallel hybrids (Prius, Insight, etc) where the engine does propel the vehicle as well as charge the battery. Just a thought.

Not true. There have been 2 Volt designs to date. The 1st-generation coupled the engine mechanically to the wheels above about 70 mph, for parallel hybrid mode. Mostly it did operate as a series hybrid at low to medium speeds though.

The current generation Volt operates as a parallel hybrid more often. In other words, it sends mechanical engine power to the ring of one of it's 2 planetary gearsets to couple engine power to the wheels directly when needed.

Details:

https://gm-volt.com/2015/02/20/gen-2-volt-transmission-operating-modes-explained/

1st generation background:

"But the Volt (Generation 1, the old Volt) isn't always a series hybrid. Once the speed climbs to about 70 mph, the motor/generator again couples to the ring gear but now—in "charge-sustaining" mode—the smaller electric motor is also affixed to the running gas engine. In effect, the gas engine supplies power directly to the transmission, which is just like a parallel hybrid.

This last mode has caused some consternation because over the Volt's development GM has stated that the gas engine never directly powers the car..
"

Credits:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a6179/chevy-volt-hybrid-drive-system/
http://www.blogcdn.com/translogic.aolautos.com/media/2010/10/electricdriveunit05.jpg
http://www.roperld.com/science/chevyvolt.htm
https://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/11/gm-comes-clean-on-volt-drivetrain/

With my 1985 Corolla, I did several UOAs with about 5,000+ miles and 18+ months on synthetic oil (0W-20 and 0W-40) and the results were satisfactory. It's not an ideal situation but it seems to work. The last OCI with TGMO 0W-20 was 5,720.7 miles and 665 days.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...0w-20-m1-0w-40-final-verdict#Post4988050

In any case, I wouldn't exceed 24 months.

Also, make sure to use synthetic oil if your OCI will be longer than 12 months.

Would be nice if the infrastructure was in place for hydrogen and then the OEM's start to offer fuel cell hybrids. We could avoid much of this.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Would be nice if the infrastructure was in place for hydrogen and then the OEM's start to offer fuel cell hybrids. We could avoid much of this.

Remember the Hindenburg!

Please show me documented proof of ANY oil maker that warrants their oil for more than 12 months....
All of them, under their warranty, state You must change the oil atleast every 12 months, regardless of car OEM recommendations.
So, if you're engine blows up at 15 months who is gonna pay for replacement?

Here's is Mobil 1:
What the period of coverage is:
The Mobil 1 limited warranty is valid for 10,000 miles or your vehicle's OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.
Additional requirements for all Mobil 1 products include:
Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and
an oil change must be completed every twelve (12) months.

Amsoil:
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil provides reserve protection, allowing you to go longer between oil changes if you choose - up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first*.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker

In terms of production, transport and storage it would be difficult to pick a worse fuel than hydrogen.

Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
Congrats on the new Volt! I have a first gen that we bought in 2014 and has been 100% perfect. It also has a two year oil change interval, which for us is about 2000-3000 engine driven miles (battery only miles are 7000 to 8000). I change it every year. It only holds four quarts and the filter is $5.00 from the dealer, so it's not a big expense. In just a year, the oil is pretty dark and smells a little like fuel. The trouble with Volt's that are run mostly on battery is the engine doesn't get used enough to ever get the oil up to operating temperature. I try to get it on the highway in "hold" mode every so often, to force the engine to run for 15 to 20 minutes which burns up old fuel and gets the oil nice and hot.

Your gen two Volt has a direct injected engine so it will be even more prone to fuel contamination.

ty

Originally Posted by rossn2
Please show me documented proof of ANY oil maker that warrants their oil for more than 12 months....
All of them, under their warranty, state You must change the oil atleast every 12 months, regardless of car OEM recommendations.

Here's is Mobil 1:
The Mobil 1 limited warranty is valid for 10,000 miles or your vehicle's OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.
Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and

Amsoil:
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil provides reserve protection, allowing you to go longer between oil changes if you choose - up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first*.

These warranties were one of the inconsistencies that prompted me to ask the question on this forum. Going the 2 years doesn't bother me personally. If they recommended never I would do that and just keep it full lol. Considering the extent that people beat the crap out of their cars and don't take care of them and lots of cars are still out there running, I doubt following the owners manual is a huge mistake.

If the vehicle is under warranty from the manufacturer, the manufacturer pays. Otherwise, good luck getting the oil company to pay up anytime. You would have to prove it was there oil that blew the engine up. The oil company warrenty is merely just marketing anyway. If the oil is still good, it won't blow your engine up.

Originally Posted by badduxx

Here's is Mobil 1:

Amsoil:

These warranties were one of the inconsistencies that prompted me to ask the question on this forum. Going the 2 years doesn't bother me personally. If they recommended never I would do that and just keep it full lol. Considering the extent that people beat the crap out of their cars and don't take care of them and lots of cars are still out there running, I doubt following the owners manual is a huge mistake.
The oil company just don't like the idea that they won't see you again in 2 years. That is why even Amsoil won't go beyond a year. If it can go 25,000 miles, then it sure could last longer than a year too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back