Chevrolet 4.3 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a Chevrolet 4.3 v6 today with 377,000 miles and it still ran good he came in with what he thought was a leaky rear seal but it was actually a bad oil sender.. It was in a smaller chevy suv

Must have used Amsoil. If dino was used the engine would be sludged up and wouldn't make it past 49,345 miles before blowing up.

The oil change sticker on the window said valvolive fast lube but who knows what he uses for sure i asked him and he said he uses just oil and then said to me oil is oil, my brother hearing this pulled me into the office and said we are too busy for oil opinions now!
LOL im sure i will see him again and he will listen to my oil opinion...lol

My 94 chevy 1500 with the v6 was very trusty. I dont know how often the oil was changed before I got it, but it wasnt synthetic. These motors were supposed to be pretty good with the votec heads, which I had. I bought the truck at 118k, sold it at 137k, and it still runs to this day with no engine work, just things like the starter and alternator.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Must have used Amsoil. If dino was used the engine would be sludged up and wouldn't make it past 49,345 miles before blowing up.

Must be it, couldn't possibly be any other oil.
smirk2.gif

Family had an '88 Chevy C1500 Pickup with the 4.3 in it. We sold it at 258,000 miles on the odometer. The engine ran just fine, ran its whole life on whatever was on sale dino 10w30 or 5w30 depending on the season.

Well, I guess if you're going to take a ridiculous position it is amusing to be so specific about it.

....tick.... 49,346... ...KABOOM!

crackmeup2.gif

I have a gmc with a 4.3 and its a good engine no doubt durability wise. Its not great on gas or anything but does ok. I get about 17 or 18 combined. I am worried about the intake gasket many complain about. So far no trouble but i know its coming. This is my second 4.3 so I have a good feel for them.

For a old design they are ok and nothing to be afraid of. I just wish I could get better mileage. Its 3/4 of a chevy 350 if I remember correctly. Solid engines for the most part.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I saw a Chevrolet 4.3 v6 today with 377,000 miles and it still ran good he came in with what he thought was a leaky rear seal but it was actually a bad oil sender.. It was in a smaller chevy suv

The 4.3 is a pretty stout unit. I just never liked the trannies GM hooked them to. I had an '88 S10 Blazer, engine was fine - tranny just seemed to shift at random, but nothing was wrong with it. Just strange shift points. Smaller SUV? Was the dash crumbling? Could have been an S-10 Blazer.
lol.gif

yup, as nomo said, the 4.3 is literally a 350 small block with 2 cyls cut off - and the 350 is aguably GM's most durable engine. in my opinion, GM's best engines are (in this order) the 5.7, the 4.3, and the 3.8

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

From Memory:

1991, maybe 1992 = "Z" VIN. "Early Vortec" - I fee it was Vortec motor. 150HP about. GREAT ENGINE!!! S-10 Blazer, S15 GMC Jimmy.

1993 - 1994: "W" VIN. VORTEC on head! 160-200HP, variable Throttling Intake to detect type of gas used. EVEN BETETR than Z VIN, and Z VIn wasnt bad!

Great SUVs, I have had 3.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
yup, as nomo said, the 4.3 is literally a 350 small block with 2 cyls cut off - and the 350 is aguably GM's most durable engine. in my opinion, GM's best engines are (in this order) the 5.7, the 4.3, and the 3.8

Just real quick.. Two other Notables:

1) "307" found in 1982 Olds Delta 88... also other Cutlass and things from same engine.

2) "Iron Duke" 2.5L "Tech4".... up until the early 90s. great engine, made in Michigan, their top plant.

I am happy i have this motor, it is serving VERY well, im taking care of it.

Thanks just my
49.gif

Originally Posted By: 10bears

Well, I guess if you're going to take a ridiculous position it is amusing to be so specific about it.

....tick.... 49,346... ...KABOOM!

crackmeup2.gif

33.gif
HAD to get this in here before returning later..

1) Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4s = Turbos said to not ast past 60,000 miles
2) Hyundai Excels = Transmissions made of Tin and Rubber Bands glued together with Gum and Superglue.. They usually go around 60,000 as well
3) Suzukis, Daewoos, etc.. = "Questionable."

Some cars DO go-BOOM- i actually appreciate the Specifics.. but for the Chevy Blazer, id say add another "1" to make it 149,345 miles before your 4WD Transmission needs a Rebuild.

lol.gif

I've seen MANY 4.3 GM V6's with mileage north of 200k. I've had 5 vehicles with this engine, and they all ran perfectly. I never owned one beyond 100k, but I'm sure they continued to serve the subsequent owners well.

A college friend had an '86 Astro with 320k miles. The engine and tranny were the last things left standing on that van!

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Family had an '88 Chevy C1500 Pickup with the 4.3 in it. We sold it at 258,000 miles on the odometer. The engine ran just fine, ran its whole life on whatever was on sale dino 10w30 or 5w30 depending on the season.

I had one in my 1996 Chevy C1500 and its still going with over 270,000 miles on it. Never had a single problem with it and the oil change history is exactly what you did...

I've got one in my new to me 2004 GMC 4x4 and I LOVE the engine. Even up at 9,000 ft its a GREAT motor. ANY conditions it is just a pleasure to operate.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

No disagreement here! Also I'd lump in the 4.8l V8. Its a impressive motor and gets pretty good MPG too!

Take care, bill

GM had a 2.8 V6 a few decades ago.
It was hampered by a carb and tacked on emissions stuff, but it was a great engine - a screamer.

I'm no fan of GM but the 4.3L and 5.7L are two good engines. I could never understand why they also made the 4.3L in a V8. I had one in a Caprice and it was a POS, at least IMO. I'd like to meet the design team that came up with the idea of putting a distributor cap behind the water pump. LOL

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm no fan of GM but the 4.3L and 5.7L are two good engines. I could never understand why they also made the 4.3L in a V8. I had one in a Caprice and it was a POS, at least IMO. I'd like to meet the design team that came up with the idea of putting a distributor cap behind the water pump. LOL

I've always felt the engineer who designs such things should personally demonstrate the serviceability of the engine!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I've always felt the engineer who designs such things should personally demonstrate the serviceability of the engine!

That would be nice. My bet though is he gets a company car, of his choice, and long before it needs service he gets another car of his choice.

The engineers who do the design are probably pretty high up on the food chain. It would be the mechanics job to figure out how to service the car.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Nissan 240SX has Alternator UNDER the Power Steerign Pump. Once the Power Steering pump leaked a LOT, it went STRAIGHT into the Alternator..

$330 job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back