Check your spare!

Oh that was on the base 2.5 SE wrangler. My Cherokee which has pretty much the same drivetrain had a donut.

The rubicon had matching set of tires as did the 4.0L sport wrangler.

Discount now pushes sales of compact spares. When I last took my car to DT for a flat repair the guy asked me, "How do you like your compact spare?" I think I said something like, "It does the job." He was trying to tell me that since my car was eight years old I should think about replacing the spare. They are now giving the narrative about replacing "aged" spares to most customers. I do check the air in mine about three times a year, which requires removing it from the trunk. I've never had one exhibit any deterioration from just being in the trunk, but I suppose it's possible.

That is by far the most impressive spare rim I've ever seen.

They must have blew all the budget on the wheel and had to skimp on the tire. 😂

I've never seen a spare fail like that just sitting in a car. I have seen the tread separate from them almost completely on cars that were obviously driven far longer than intended on those little tires though.

I have two vehicles that are approaching 25 years old and the spares in the trunk look new, no cracking or tread issues whatsoever and hold 60 PSI just fine. That failure is not age related, it's poorly (cheap) made tire, or manufacturing defect.

Here we go again! 2018 Genesis G80 (basically the same car) and the spare had never been mounted. Another Kumho randomly separated.
IMG_5412.jpeg
IMG_5413.jpeg

I hate those temp spares. When ever i see someone on the road with one I give the a wide berth. IMHO those spares give folks a false sense of security, kind of like a life jacket that really doesnt float. I bought slime plug/fill kits for each of my vehicles and would only use the temp spare as a last resort like a blow out.
Seen a few of the rolling nightmares here using FOUR donuts at once! Guess that’s what happens when you can’t afford real tires!

That is by far the most impressive spare rim I've ever seen.
My 2006 Lexus has a full sized alloy and has the original Dunlop SP with the red and yellow dots. Grease crayon from factory at Tahara Aichi. At least I got to see what the rims looked like when new (all 4 on car peeling and curb rash on 2, got car used 10 yo).

Graveyard Carz would be into stuff like that, the factory markings…

I top off my spare every 6 months or so, so I went to top it off today and the Genesis donut had tread separation in multiple spots. Has never been used, still has all the nubs on it. It still had 40 psi in it, which is about right for being 6 months since summer.

I guess don't assume your "new" spare is any good, look it over good.View attachment 36001View attachment 36002View attachment 36003
Report it, you may save someone an accident if it failed while driving

Too late... don't have much spare left to check

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_144011056_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230630_144011056_HDR.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 6
Back