Check it! new family cruiser

Family recently decided to purchase a new car, (well, truck) and since used car values have skyrocketed it was actually cheaper to purchase the 4runner brand new! we ended up trading in our 2018 rav4 with 70k miles on it.

after waiting a month and a half, here she is! TRD offroad spec, premium audio (if that really matters) had 8 miles when it arrived to the dealership (from japan) now has 250 and hopefully 400,000 more to go!

Gonna be doing all the maintenance myself, as we're gonna stick with 5k OCIs instead of the normal 10k. plus everything the manual says to do (that the dealerships dont do anyway, like greasing the driveshaft yokes)
PXL_20210722_013713073.jpg
PXL_20210722_020709990.jpg

Nice.

are they really built in Japan? I thought Toyota truck/suvs were made in America for the American market.

our 08 Yaris was made in Japan.

Nice.

pare they really built in Japan? I thought Toyota’s were made in America.
Basically all other Toyota models are made in America or canada

Only 2 models are 100% made in Japan, 4runner, and the new rav4 prime.

Main reason we chose it is because it using a fully boxed frame unlike the C channel Tacoma, also the 4L is a proven design (shared with the European Hilux as well, just has intake and exhaust vvt)

Basically as close to a Hilux as you can get brand new in the us 😆

I keep trying to convince my wife this should be her next vehicle. I get crickets.

Tell her the hood scoop adds 10hp easy ;)

And "it matches your hair perfect!"
She's in love with the Telluride, Aviator, Palisade and Highlander. All great choices but I'm with you, the closer to a Hilux the better. The 4runner is super reliable and easy to maintain.

Congrats and many decades of reliable, safe ownership.

Congrats.

We like our TRD ORP, even if it doesn't get driven much.
Thank you!
We were debating on whether or not to get the sr5 premium, or the TRD OR. We ended up with the TRD since (in my opinion) has the best features we wanted for the same price (roughly, bout 200$ more) main thing I wanted was the Manual shift transfer case, and the locking rear diff. Since I do own a Jon boat, those secret spots are getting harder and harder to get to 😆

She's in love with the Telluride, Aviator, Palisade and Highlander. All great choices but I'm with you, the closer to a Hilux the better. The 4runner is super reliable and easy to maintain.
Yup, main thing is (I'm assuming) she wants ride comfort and good MPG, which the 4runner really was not designed to do (we are getting around 19mpg average, ride comfort is eh, good enough)

I'd say take her out and take one for a test drive, she might change her mind then ;)

From a first-Sequoia owner and recent Toyota convert, CONGRATS! That’s one hell of a truck. Love the color and the wheels. That would be my exact choice as well if I were buying one.

EDIT:
Can you post some pics of the interior and engine bay

Last edited:
I’ve always been infatuated with these thing because they are what I’d call part of the “Legend” group of the automotive longevity and reliability. A friend had one...think he put 400,000 on it. Just beat to death, know what I mean? His wife hit everything but the lottery in it. Thing was an absolute mess, but mechanically it was pretty much trouble free. That’s hard to do with that kind of mileage - that’s engineering at its finest - but in all honesty, both his wife and him hated the thing...bad fuel economy, rough ride, not a lot of room. But I’ll tell you what, the newer ones, like the OP in the thread...love the way these things look! So aggressive looking...love the colors available. Real nice SUV. I’d buy and keep one for 20 years.

My wife loved the 4runners, they just don’t have the interior space she wanted.

I didn’t want another 17mpg sled. One 1GR-FE/5speed in the family is enough.

My wife loved the 4runners, they just don’t have the interior space she wanted.

I didn’t want another 17mpg sled. One 1GR-FE/5speed in the family is enough.
Honestly, we are averaging 18ish, 12 when we're towing our boat lmao

Honestly it's the total opposite for us, coming from the RAV4, the 4runner has TONS of room, very "luxurious" (again, compared with the RAV4) the way it rides is good, bit harsh but I'm assuming thats because everything is new and getting broken in, once it hits a few thousand it should lessen up.

Back