Check it! new family cruiser

Here's a picture of me "flexing" the suspension on a 5in curb. As much as id like to take it offroad, it's a vehicle worth about 1/4 of our house, so we don't wanna wreck it after 4 days.
IMG_20210725_131340.jpg
IMG_20210725_131353.jpg
IMG_20210725_131403.jpg

Honestly, we are averaging 18ish, 12 when we're towing our boat lmao

Honestly it's the total opposite for us, coming from the RAV4, the 4runner has TONS of room, very "luxurious" (again, compared with the RAV4) the way it rides is good, bit harsh but I'm assuming thats because everything is new and getting broken in, once it hits a few thousand it should lessen up.

You might check that the tire inflation pressure was dropped during the PDI, from the 52 PSI they put in the tires for shipping, to the 32 PSI called for in the stock P-rated tires.

I swapped out the stock tires at a couple hundred miles, because they weren't going to be adequate for the driving and trail exploring, we intend to do.

Even with only 1800 miles, we can get 20 MPG pretty easily just cruising down the highway. That's with much heavier load range E tires. But it is a milder tread A/T.

I keep trying to convince my wife this should be her next vehicle. I get crickets.
I am agreeing with her, had one for a week in FL last month. That 5 speed kills that suv, it really sucks and mpg is really bad but everything else was fine.

You might check that the tire inflation pressure was dropped during the PDI, from the 52 PSI they put in the tires for shipping, to the 32 PSI called for in the stock P-rated tires.

I swapped out the stock tires at a couple hundred miles, because they weren't going to be adequate for the driving and trail exploring, we intend to do.

Even with only 1800 miles, we can get 20 MPG pretty easily just cruising down the highway. That's with much heavier load range E tires. But it is a milder tread A/T.
We checked it and it was at 44psi, we ended up deflating them to 32.

I can’t unsee this. Is the engine really off center??

I believe the later model Dakotas did this too?
It's actually centered, just the intake beauty cover is offset because the intake design, you can actually see the left side and right side valve covers are evenly spaced with the inner fenders

Nice.

are they really built in Japan? I thought Toyota truck/suvs were made in America for the American market.

our 08 Yaris was made in Japan.
All Venza's are Japanese, in fact I have a friend who works for Toyota corprate and I remember her mentioning that even a Camry maybe imported from Japan if they have to say produce more of another model in US in other words whatever market dictates.

It's actually centered, just the intake beauty cover is offset because the intake design, you can actually see the left side and right side valve covers are evenly spaced with the inner fenders
Whew! Good. I can sleep better tonight.

Forgive me if this is a foolish question. But is there plans or currently available LED headlights on these ?

I love the trucks. Wanting LED headlamps on anything new we would by from here on out

seems like something easy they could do on a new model year

nice vehicle but my first thought is getting a car that costs 1/4 the value of one’s home truly a sound financial decision? perhaps so if one has a recession-proof forever job/skill, fully funds an ira & 401k each year, has paid down the mortgage, is comfortably insured for life & disability risks (both husband & wife)...

nice vehicle but my first thought is getting a car that costs 1/4 the value of one’s home truly a sound financial decision? perhaps so if one has a recession-proof forever job/skill, fully funds an ira & 401k each year, has paid down the mortgage, is comfortably insured for life & disability risks (both husband & wife)...
I HAVE NEVER BEFORE SEEN SOMEONE SO JUDGEMENTAL. Maybe he lives in an area where homes are $125k? Who knows but I do know it's none of our business.

Forgive me if this is a foolish question. But is there plans or currently available LED headlights on these ?

I love the trucks. Wanting LED headlamps on anything new we would by from here on out

seems like something easy they could do on a new model year
Yeah they come with LEDs standard now, believe it's the 2020+ models.

Very nice! Would love a 4Runner.

Although I do find it a bit odd the TRD models come with street tires?

Well, townhouse, and it was 147k when we bought it, now valued at bout in the low 200ish

We're not into houses, everything financially is covered well.
There jobs are secure (medical and law respectively)

Why not? It's a good assist to have, we were looking into a bigger all around hauler that we truly liked to drive. If we stuck to the correct "financial" way we would all be driving 500$ beaters, and life is too short for that.

Maybe live and let be?

Last edited:
Family recently decided to purchase a new car, (well, truck) and since used car values have skyrocketed it was actually cheaper to purchase the 4runner brand new! we ended up trading in our 2018 rav4 with 70k miles on it.

after waiting a month and a half, here she is! TRD offroad spec, premium audio (if that really matters) had 8 miles when it arrived to the dealership (from japan) now has 250 and hopefully 400,000 more to go!

Gonna be doing all the maintenance myself, as we're gonna stick with 5k OCIs instead of the normal 10k. plus everything the manual says to do (that the dealerships dont do anyway, like greasing the driveshaft yokes)
View attachment 64537View attachment 64538
The only decent looking toy I have seen in awhile.

Very nice! Would love a 4Runner.

Although I do find it a bit odd the TRD models come with street tires?

It helps the MPG rating a tiny bit, and I think Toyota knows that most owners will be swapping out the tires for something more 4wd capable. That's what I did, and I was glad to choose what tire I wanted.

If you're trying to convince her to get a 4Runner and there's push-back, just pitch the GX460. Very similar and great ride. More power, similar MPG.

Back