Check Engine Light + Oil leak

I was out running errands today when I noticed upon a restart that my 2019 VW GTI’s idle was erratic, starting off at about 1800 RPM and then decreasing to about 1200 rpm at which speed it fluctuated about 200 rpm up and down. Also, the CEL was lit. I drove to the dealership whose service rep said they could not look at it today, being a Saturday. He said VW said it was OK to drive if the CEL was on without flashing. So I drove it home and parked it. Then I noticed it was leaking oil, so I checked the dip stick which had oil on the very bottom of the stick only. I know it was not leaking oil before driving it, because I checked the floor before parking. Also, I had checked the dip stick the day before. So, can the CEL and the oil leak be related? The car has 8,170 miles.

I should have included that there is oil dripping from the front of the engine and that when I had checked the oil the day before and it was in the normal range. Total trip length when This occurred was about 15 miles.

It turns out the dipstick tube had pulled out of the engine block causing both an oil leak and a vacuum leak. The vacuum leak apparently caused the erratic idle and caused the CEL to illuminate. Hope this helps someone in the future who has a similar problem.

Back