Cheaply made oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this oil filter look too simple/cheap?

r9kcwz.jpg

It has just a coil spring without anything underneath.

24cf688.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like deja vu regarding this topic, but I'll give it a shot again. I suppose cheap is in the eye of the beholder, but just because the metal coil spring bypass is exposed and viewable down the center tube doesn't necessarily make it "cheap" or "too simple". As I said in the other related thread, as long as the design works, ie., does what's it's supposed to, open at the specified psid, then it's just fine in my book.

And also as said in the other thread, if the oem uses that design that means they stand behind it's quality and function. So the exposed spring wouldn't keep me from using this filter as specified if I so chose.

Now if you were talking about a nitrile combo valve being used here instead of the separate adbv and metal coil spring bybass, then I might agree with the more cheaply made characterization, but that would be just my opinion. And that's another discussion not asked here.

It's not just the coil spring but the design of the holes.
The other one I have looks like this:

AD2CAE05-37DE-486F-BBEB-5CF8404497F5.jpg

Holes are not in the same order and there are some different layers in the metal around them. is this just a design?

Originally Posted By: idanr
Isn't this oil filter look too simple/cheap?

r9kcwz.jpg

It has just a coil spring without anything underneath.

24cf688.jpg

Looks a lot like an AC Delco. I think it looks will constructed. A center tube with a lot of holes to promote increased flow. nice.

Again, center tube hole design, number, etc. is insignificant as long as it functions as designed, which I'd be confident it does.

Clarcor/Baldwin and Champ use a slotted (slit) metal center tube design and they work fine too. Just a difference in a center tube design.

Hello, "Looks fine"????
Pardon me if I sound critical but, in the absence of testing which shows A) How well and when a by-pass valve opens and closes, B) How well any ADBV operates and C) How well any media filters and ages during use, how can you comment?
Silicone being the superior material for an ADBV could be a given.
Nitrile might be adequate to the task if you knew the filter wasn't to sit on a shelf for 10 years, I suppose.

But anything else...How do you know? Kira

ps I do love to see inside filters too. I'm not a meanie.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Nitrile might be adequate to the task if you knew the filter wasn't to sit on a shelf for 10 years, I suppose.

Actually the filter is an old stock from 2006. is it critical?

Another thing that bothers me, the metal is bent together and it looks like someone just cut it with a metal scissor. there is this ugly hole at the top of it.

1zf0bnl.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, To idanr: If the inner cylinder of an oil filter does the job of keeping the element from collapsing or tearing, it's done it's job.
If the missing corner of said cylinder impacts the operation/performance of the product then I suggest you return it to the shop where it was purchased.

Actually I'm kidding. I was SHOCKED when I saw the picture of that missing corner. If I were you I'd go to the shop and spray it with machine gun bullets to teach them a lesson.
Kira

I'm sorry, idanr.

Methinks you are just simply being nit-picking.

Get on with your life and stop being so "anayl" about filter construction.

*smiles*

Q.

Originally Posted By: Kira
If I were you I'd go to the shop and spray it with machine gun bullets to teach them a lesson.

Only lower class types spray machine gun bullets.

Gentlemen wait until it's dark and use a brick wrapped in a towel or a baseball bat that's been soaking in used motor oil for six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back