cheaper car insurance?

They're ok if you don't have any claims. They wouldn't let me go to the dealer when I needed new windshield glass. But that's really the only claim I've had in the last several years where I wasn't happy with them. Otherwise they're a few hundred dollars cheaper every year. My state might be different though. For whatever reason for years, Geico operated in 49 states, except Massachusetts. Then they finally started doing business here a few years ago so maybe that's why their rates seem much cheaper to me than other places.
I posted previously about the ordeal I had when my 300 was hit. Cheap is no good if you can’t get help. I had Geico for 7 years and it was great since there were no claims.

Geico operated in 49 states, except Massachusetts. Then they finally started doing business here a few years ago so maybe that's why their rates seem much cheaper to me than other places.
How long have they been in MA ? I signed up with American Family when they first came to Ohio and their rates were great. After 3-4 years, they jumped up and were in line with everyone else's rates. I mentioned this to a claims adjuster and he said they enter a state with low-ball rates to build a client base then once they're in for a few years, creep rates up. The majority of people complain, then do nothing (they stay with them). I moved on from them...

How long have they been in MA ? I signed up with American Family when they first came to Ohio and their rates were great. After 3-4 years, they jumped up and were in line with everyone else's rates. I mentioned this to a claims adjuster and he said they enter a state with low-ball rates to build a client base then once they're in for a few years, creep rates up. The majority of people complain, then do nothing (they stay with them). I moved on from them...
I think I switched 9 years ago so maybe a little before that. I still shop around every few years and they're still the cheapest by a few hundred dollars. They do have some good discounts if you pay it all at once which I do. The other insurance companies used to not care if you paid on installment or all at once so I just did the installment.

We had to deal with Progressive once when we were on the "wrong" end. I will never use Progressive. There's too many good options out there from them. Our son was looking at insurance quotes recently and knows the story. He mentioned he was considering switching to them and kept a straight face when he said knowing I would react.... Told him he'd better find somewhere else to park his car !

meh... had Geico for years, slowly raised premium $3-6 every 6 months. My folks recommended a local broker who saved me a few hundred on my home owners. A few years later I asked him to price my cars and wife's (she had her own policy, from pre-marriage), same coverages. $2k savings lumping home owners and our 4 cars. We currently have MetLife.

Hope you're not on the other end of a claim with these companies either.
Yep-the cheap insurance is great until you need to use it. I had someone hit me who was covered by Geico. To their credit, Geico called me almost immediately after the accident since the other driver admitted fault. Geico wanted me to take my truck to a body shop over 25 miles away-even though I had a relationship with a body shop right up the street. They said if I used my own shop, they didn't know when the appraiser could go out, etc. I told them to shove it and filed a claim with my own insurance company. It was later subrogated for 98% of the total claim with Geico.

I have multiple policies for different reasons and cost is secondary to the reputation of the company itself.

My son had one of those Internet based auto insurance companies and when he submitted a claim it was nothing short of a disaster.

Our two automobiles have a total worth of 50 thousand dollars-I'm not interested in cheaping out on this detail.

I told them to shove it and filed a claim with my own insurance company.
Never let the other party's insurance company "handle" your side of the claim. Their goal is to settle as quickly as possible and cheaply as possible. You did the right thing by having your own insurance take care of your side.

As long as never have a claim, the cheapest company is the way to go.

On the other hand, I have had such great service with my current company over the last 40 years I will never change.
All it takes is one bad wreck or one minor wreck and you will know what I am talking about. Where I live, there are some
of the companies that are mentioned in this thread that the body shops around here won't even deal with. They will ask you
who you insurance is with and if it is with certain companies, they won't do the body repair on your car.

I'd check around with a few body shops before trying to cheap out. They will have some great advice.

I have only ever gotten good rates from Geico. Liberty mutual has been catching up lately. Will very likely move over to them if they can match my current coverage with geico.

I tried one of those insurance apps claiming cheap insurance. Total scam. Maybe if you're over 25 and have a spotless record. My quote from them was double what geico was. I believe they also brokered it out to liberty mutual, yet I got a better rate going directly thru LM.

Progressive by far has the best rates. But you get what you pay for. I always hear people bi*chin' about progressive not making customers whole after accidents.

I've always swapped back and forth between Geico and Progressive very 2-4 years. I've had claims through both, no issues with either. Progressive used to hold an edge as they had a local drop off. If you had an accident and it was still drivable, you could drop it there and pick up a rental. They'd take care of the repairs with your preferred shop from there and deliver the car back to you. They no longer have this which stinks.

I'm now on Geico as they were a tad cheaper compared to Progressive when I added a new vehicle this year. I shopped the larger firms as well, they were all much more for a policy.

My girlfriend uses State Farm through a broker. Same coverage levels as me, both no accidents. She insures one car, a 2015 Rav4 and her premiums are almost 4X what mine are for 2 vehicles, one being brand new. Crazyness. I keep hounding her to swap.

Another satisfied USAA customer. Always the cheapest option when I've looked for lower rates. Great service - I insured a 1951 1.5 ton Chevy truck in a 10 minute call. They emailed me proof of insurance while we were on the phone. The few times I've had to make a claim over the years, they were no hassle.

I had State Farm for close to 15 years and loved them then Katrina. I paid bill every month although we were told exempt then when license came due i had a 500.00 bill for no insurance as well as a ticket a fellow got before he made it to dmv. State Farm said they mailed me a refund for van i sold since it was totaled from storm. All lies. Been with Geico since. The one thing I don't like is that my wife has to be on policy as non licensed.

Another satisfied USAA customer. Always the cheapest option when I've looked for lower rates. Great service - I insured a 1951 1.5 ton Chevy truck in a 10 minute call. They emailed me proof of insurance while we were on the phone. The few times I've had to make a claim over the years, they were no hassle.
USAA is known for their great customer service. Unfortunately this company isn't available to many of us.

Get a progressive quote, see what discount you get for a 6 month payment lump payment. Then pay with Paypal credit 6/mo no interest and pay it off monthly.

I receive a significant savings that no other insurance company has some close.

Amica has had not only the best prices that I have found but also coverage and customer service. I was impressed by how quickly and easily my only claim with them was handled last summer. They also have a nice dividend sharing program where you get a nice little investment kickback every year 💵

Amica has had not only the best prices that I have found but also coverage and customer service. I was impressed by how quickly and easily my only claim with them was handled last summer. They also have a nice dividend sharing program where you get a nice little investment kickback every year 💵
Did you shop Geico? I had Amica before I switched, Geico was about $400-$500 a year cheaper.

Did you shop Geico? I had Amica before I switched, Geico was about $400-$500 a year cheaper.

I got a quote from Geico in 2019 that did not touch my Amica policy but I have to say that out of every insurance provider I got a quote from that Geico was the lowest and closest to my current policy premium with Amuca.

Back