Cheap OBD-II scan tool and software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an inexpensive portable scanner that gives me the codes and I can look them up in a book or online, but I was wondering if an inexpensive scan tool and PC software would give me more and would be worth it. I see them now for less than $30 including software, like this one: Amazon scan tool I also see some really cheap ones for less than $10. Not sure what they do or if they even work. Do you need to spend $200-$300 for a real scan tool and software?

I have an ebay usb scan tool and the free software that came with it. It's pretty impressive for what it can do. At the very least for 30 bucks you can view and reset codes, but mine also give some (two second interval) realtime info.

I wish I was at home I could give more info about what I have but it looks exactly like the one you linked and is an elm chipped unit.

There are some bluetooth ones for Droid and Iphone that are good and not that expensive. The good bluetooth OBDII adapter is over $100 but there are a lot for $25.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The good bluetooth OBDII adapter is over $100 but there are a lot for $25.

What is the difference, pls?

I have one of the cheap bluetooth dongles. It's the BAFX one. It's great for simple stuff such as reading or clearing codes and whatnot. So far it's worked with everything that I've plugged it into.

There are times when I'll unplug a MODIS tool (which does offer a lot more functionality) because I need to watch live ECM data and the MODIS is so slow as to be useless.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: Donald
The good bluetooth OBDII adapter is over $100 but there are a lot for $25.

What is the difference, pls?

While I posted this its only from reading. I have a PC based one from AutoEnginuity thats a lot more expensive, but has more functionality.

I would go with a cheap bluetooth OBDII adapter and see how it goes. You need to balance your needs against functionality and cost.

If you want true bidirectional functionality that will require something like I have and the manufacturers specific package, but then for example, you can tell the vehicle to turn on the electric fan and test it.

Try to buy on Amazon as they take returns pretty easily I have found.

I have one with a laptop interface... it's about 6 years old now.. still works great.

The software isn't as necessary as you think. Just type the OBD codes into a computer search engine... included the year/model of the car and you'll get lots of helpful information.

How "necessary" it is to have manufacturer specific software depends on what you're trying to do at the time. If you're just trying to figure out why the check engine light is or or identify the cause of a drivability issue you probably don't need to tell the computer to do things like "honk the horn" and "bleed the brakes".

Of course if the horn doesn't work or you've got air in the ABS unit, that may be a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back