Cheap Hong Kong Obd2 Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else tried to use the many variations of Obd2 scanners available for use w/ laptops from ebay. Following is a typical example and identical to one I tried. Costs are low;
Ebay Obd2 Scanner

I installed (no detailed instructions) the scanner software (elmscan download) and the USB software to convert your USB port to a simulated serial port to the software. It did not work at all and I only get a "Interface not found" message. I checked the operating system (Windows XP) and found the correct com port was selected and USB was functioning. That's the limit if my IT skills, so I called it a failed experiment and ordered more reliable (but very similar) product (OBDscan) from Harrison Engineering.

Hopefully there are others w/ positive experience. I would be interested to hear from you.

Regards

I had an elm scanner a while ago, IIRC an ELM322. It was by far the cheapest. I had to assemble the OBD-II connector myself with little pins, or buy their premade one for another $25.

It worked for a while then didn't. I had the serial port version. You could try different USB ports in your computer; some are powered and sometimes it matters.

You can open hyperterminal in windows and query the thing and even get trouble codes, but they might be hexadecimal? IDK how the USB version works.

As with most generic OBD-II stuff you only get a couple dozen generic sensors.

I've used the Harrison software and interconnect for several years and his stuff works fine.

Regarding a cheapie OBD handheld scanner, awhile back I found one at Harbor Freight, looked identical to an Actron-brand scanner. Cheap enough that I bought 4 of them and stuck one in the glove box of wifes/kids vehicles. Don't know about anyone else but I never see a CEL in the convenience of my driveway. They've come in really handy a couple of times now to at least point to the basic system/sensor that is indicating trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back