Cheap filters from rockauto okay?

Currently have a gift card for rock auto and I it's been 2 years since I did engine and cabin air filters so I figured it's a good time to buy them. Looking at the different parts they offer it seems prices really vary from $3 to $20 from what looks like all are paper filters. Some brands include Ultra Power (cheapest), Wix, Mahle, Denso, etc. Seems like most are china made anyway. Does it really matter in a paper based filter?

What vehicle are you buying filters for? I'm partial to the Fram Ultra and use them for or multiple oil changes.

I've used cheaper filters before, but I prefer to use the best filter on the engine.

I would only buy the cheaper cabin filters from Rockauto.

The cheaper filters should be good for 3000 mile oil changes. Anything extended (5k and up) you might want a Wix filter or something comparable.

Currently have a gift card for rock auto and I it's been 2 years since I did engine and cabin air filters so I figured it's a good time to buy them. Looking at the different parts they offer it seems prices really vary from $3 to $20 from what looks like all are paper filters. Some brands include Ultra Power (cheapest), Wix, Mahle, Denso, etc. Seems like most are china made anyway. Does it really matter in a paper based filter?
The "Ultra Power" brand is Rock Auto's house brand like how Walmart has Great Value. When it comes to paper engine air filters, they're all going to be pretty close to the same, the details split hairs. Anything you see in the "Standard Replacement" or "Premium" categories will be a solid product that you shouldn't have to worry about. The "Economy" section will hold parts like the MasterPro line for O'Reilly.

I would recommend the Premium-Carbon or Ultra-Premium filter for Cabin filters, they'll make a big difference for smells and allergies.

As the adage goes: "You get what you pay for." OEM, Wix or Denso. My humble opinion. Air filters are crucial to our engines....

I just bought a couple AC Delco "Gold" engine air filters a few weeks ago from RA that were on sale. I'm not terribly impressed by the looks of them; made in China and seem of lower quality. We'll see how they do I guess. I've always used WIX in the past. Should have done the same this time instead of being lured by the price. I also bought a couple Denso cabin filters. Those were fine.

What vehicle are you buying filters for? I'm partial to the Fram Ultra and use them for or multiple oil changes.

I've used cheaper filters before, but I prefer to use the best filter on the engine.

I would only buy the cheaper cabin filters from Rockauto.

The cheaper filters should be good for 3000 mile oil changes. Anything extended (5k and up) you might want a Wix filter or something comparable.
He’s asking about air filters.

Reactions: JC1
*Depends on the fit : Some after market air filters do NOT provide a tight seal thus silicone (sand) can get around the air filter into the engine and cause long term damage . **I had a UOA done on my oil and was advised of high silicon levels most likely due to an ill fitting air filter and the report was correct !! In my case (Hyundai Sonata) , I switched to the OEM air filter (bought on OEM certified e-bay site and the fit of the air filter was night and day ) .

I agree...when I got my 2007 F150 from a relative it had a Firestone installed Chinese marked air filter...it had a little play in it...I replaced it with a Fram and was surprised at how snug it was when I placed it into the air box...not all makers fit or perform the way OEMs do...and not all aftermarket are bad...good luck with your choice

Bill

I just installed an OEM air filter on my 2017 Accord and it made me realize how poorly the old STP filter fit. The OEM fits with perfect snugness while the STP has several millimeters of play.
I had the same experience on my Miata years ago but didn’t recognize the significance of it until I did some reading on BITOG.
I wonder how many people are satisfied with aftermarket air filters and don’t realize the fit is actually less than perfect.

the majority of ROCKAUTO AF and CAF filters are Chinese or Taiwanese manufacture, only way to figure out how effective their filtering capabilities are is for someone to do some testing, Ive used the TYC and DENSO CAF, the TYC is slightly more stout than the DENSO IMO, both are Taiwanese built, ive recently used the $11 Walmart supertech 7250 CAF made by Champ labs,made in USA it seems to be on the same level as the TYC.

Back