Chasing Kinematic VI, cold temperature performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have, in the past suggested that some of the chasing VI that some of the OEMs are chasing was silly, and needlessly bolstering KVs for a given HTHS.

A while back we were using A Harman's shear stability index, which got slagged because people didn't get what it was trying to show.

It obtained a KV150, through a viscosity calculator, then converted it into Cp, the dynamic viscosity, and what the HTHS is measured in. If the oil was Newtonian, then the Low Shear and High Shear results should be the same...the ratio of HTHS to calculated dynamic viscosity is an indicator of the temporary shear that exists in the formulation.

It's not, as was the accusation, being used as an indicator of the quality, shear performance in service and the others, it was simply the non Newtonian effects of that formulation.

I'm using the following tools...
http://www.assalub.com/aktuellt.asp?lang=eng (they have an android viscosity/temperature calculator); and
http://planetcalc.com/2834/ (it's a density calculator, gets away from the corrector in A Harman's formula, ad makes the KV150/Cp@150 more intuitive, which was the problem with the recent discussions on the issue.

No particular rhyme nor reason for the oils I'll do some numbers on here, other than I need KV40, KV100, HTHS, MRV, density and CCS.

Citgo Citguard 20W20 - chosen as it's Newtonian (straight grade), with a W performance.
Calcd Cp150 2.86, HTHS 2.9, gives an SSI of 1.01, should be 1, as it's a Newtonian oil.

M1 V-Twin (20W50)
Calcd Cp150 6.26, HTHS 6.08, gives an SSI of 0.97, close as to Newtonian.

Will
move to QSUD, admittedly an aged PDS, but it's got the needed information across a bunch of grades.

0W20, Calced Cp150 2.85, HTHS 2.6, SSI 0.91
5W30, Calced Cp150 3.46, HTHS 3.0, SSI 0.87
5W50, Calced Cp150 5.80, HTHS 4.1, SSI 0.71
10W30, Calced Cp150 3.47, HTHS 3.1, SSI 0.89.

And for Giggles, and because I'm liking what I see in this oil, Ranevol 0W16.
0W16, Calced Cp150 2.45, HTHT 2.4, SSI 0.98

Now, back to the point that I'm getting to...I've wanted for a while to understand what the "high shear viscosity index is versus the KV viscosity index...still haven't found anything.

However, the two cold end parameters that define the "W" rating, the CCS and the MRV are a high shear (10^5) and extremely low shear rate respectively.

The CCS is supposed to simulate the high shear rates in a bearing/cylinder wall interface, while the MRV is supposed to simulate how the oil will "fall" to the pick-up, and be sucked up the inlet pipe.

Here's the figures...
Citgo 20W20, CCS 3,050 at -15C, MRV 7,100 at -20C.
M1 VTwin, CCS 7,500Cp at -15C, MRV 14,000 at -20C.

QSUD
0W20, CCS 4,840 at -35C, MRV 17,500 at -40C
5W30, CCS 3,980 at -30C, MRV 12,800 at -35C
5W50, CCS 4,600 at -30C, MRV 23,300 at -35C
10W30, CCS 3,650 at -20C, MRV 9,400 at -30C.

Ravenol 0W16, CCS 4,400 at -35C, MRV 10,400 at -40C.

Using the "doubling rule" (not really a rule, but close), an oil's Cp will double for each 5C change that the oil experiences...so if it's 20,000Cp at -40C, it's going to be very close to 10,000Cp at -35C.

So the MRV in a Newtonian fluid should be double the CCS, as shear rate has no effect.

Looking at the 20W20, which at least should be Newtonian, the MRV/CCS is 2.3...close.

Take the M1 VTwin, another very very high SSI, and it's 1.9, again pretty close.

QSUD
0W20, 3.6, meaning that the ability to enter the pick-up is about half what it's CCS would suggest for a Newtonian).
5W30, 3.2
5W50, 5.1
10W30, 2.6

So clearly, the action of the VIIs, while contributing to a reduced HTHS for a given KV at the hot end, are increasing the resistance to flow into the pick-up t the lower end.

The Ravenol ? It's 2.4.

Note, the above is just a statement of observation, not a poke at any particular oil, VI in general, or anyone's opinions.

It's strengthened my belief that 5W50 is a silly grade, that could be replaced with a well built 40 grade.

It's got me excited with the 0W16 grades, and am looking forward to seeing more of them, and if they are built similarly...I'd take Ravenol 0W16 over any of the Japanese high VI 0W20s any day.

This Valvoline PDS didn't have all he needed data, but it's an interesting one

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Have a look at the 0W20 and the 5W20.

0W20 has an MRV of 30,000 at -40.
5W20 has an MRV of 13,500 at -35.

With the 0W20 in the sump, and at -35, it's expected MRV is likely around the 15,000 mark, meaning that it's ability to flow into the pick-up and low shear rate areas (galleries and the like) will be virtually the same as the 5W20.

It's CCS will clearly be superior at -35, so the load on the starter will be lower, but it's "pumpability" will be about the same.

The comparison of KV150 Predicted (corrected for density) to HTHS makes perfect sense to me. The ratio of the two numbers reflects the amount and type (SSI) of the VII in the oil. Monogrades contain no VII so their ratio is roughly 1.0. Wide multigrades like the 5W50 contain vast amounts of shearable VII so the ratio is low (and yes, oils like this are silly).

The Ravenol 0W16 is interesting. I read the Ravenol presentation that someone posted and I ran my calibrated eyeball over the physical properties they quoted. At a guess this stuff is pure PAO (probably with a bit of ester) with either very little, or no VII in the oil. This is exactly what happens when you combine a very high VI stock with a narrow cross-grade; the job of the VII is effectively made redundant. What surprised me was also how 'ordinary' the 0W16 was. To me it looks like a bog-standard 0W20 with a bit less VII in it. I don't think there's much (any?) bleeding edge tech in it. Also, is it me or are Ravenol being a bit coy about the Fuel Economy benefits of this oil? It's quoted as being API SN, not GF-5. Why not? Did they fail the FE test?

The CCS to MRV number comparison I would have less faith in only because MRV can bounce around quite a bit depending on what sort, and how much PPD you add to the oil. I'm not saying there's nothing there to infer, just that the numbers can be a bit tricky.

Joe90_guy,
yeah I agree, i was just amazed how poor the MRV compared to the CCS in the heavily VII treated oils was.

I'm not claiming a science, just a "look at this".

Read your own opening sentence again.
For me, that is good enough.

Your radical idea for engine oil grades being XW/HTHS takes away a whole lot of in between that just might not matter.

So, Shannow, what oil types & grades do you use in your vehicles?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
wink.gif

Turbodiesel Nissan Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, next OCI same, and probably after that if it comes on special this Bathurst weekend.

Caprice with L67 currently had Magnatec SP 5W40 (A3/B4), last of a drum that my Dad had (between us we used 100L of this stuff over the years)...after that, either Magnatec stop/start 10W30 (A3/B4), or Chief 5W30 A3/B4)

Why ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Turk
wink.gif

Turbodiesel Nissan Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, next OCI same, and probably after that if it comes on special this Bathurst weekend.

Caprice with L67 currently had Magnatec SP 5W40 (A3/B4), last of a drum that my Dad had (between us we used 100L of this stuff over the years)...after that, either Magnatec stop/start 10W30 (A3/B4), or Chief 5W30 A3/B4)

Why ?

Just curious, you're deeply analytical (like me) on oil and I wondered what oil(s) you settled in on for best care of your personal vehicles.
smile.gif

Turk, contrary to some opinion on here, I haven't used a 50 (except to blend with...those were the days) in a decade and a half. Got to confess that my early days were 20W50 with STP, before I started making my own "syn blends" (2 litres M1 15W50 to 3 litres Duckham's 15W50) in the early '90s.

The 5W30 A3/B4 is my current brew of choice, but if I could find a full synthetic 10W30 A3/B4 around here I would be there.

Nissan calls for 15W40 in the manual for Oz, but B4 in Europe.
Caprice is 20W50 in the manual (15W40 for snow conditions)

HTHS target of 3.6?
If you want 3.7, you might have to stir in a dram of SAE50.

Actually, reading through the above thread, why chase VI with a synthetic?
Delo 400 15W30 is right close to your requirements.
Top ups with Delo 400 SAE 40.
There, you have your high density.
HDMO= High density motor oil.

Sorry to go all Oronite on ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you stated in your first two posts if I understand it correctly is that by increasing the VI through VIIs oils are being effected on the cold side due to this making the oils thicker at cold temps. Which really is not a desirable result. Plus by virtue of increased VIIs this keeps down the HTHS at the high end which really is not the best either. Maybe if oils could be made in that there are less viscosity index improvers than this would lead to better cold performance at minimum. Plus the added benefit of better high temp performance as well.
Am I on the right track with this? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
HTHS target of 3.6?
If you want 3.7, you might have to stir in a dram of SAE50.

Actually, reading through the above thread, why chase VI with a synthetic?
Delo 400 15W30 is right close to your requirements.
Top ups with Delo 400 SAE 40.
There, you have your high density.
HDMO= High density motor oil.

Sorry to go all Oronite on ya.

LOL, that's perfect...I would use a 15W30 if there were one around. Delo 400 is only available in 15W40 here...would get Delvac 1630 if it was less than 205L drums.

Problem down here is that dinos are $35-40 for 5 litres (Magnatec 10W40, one of my least desirable viscosity ranges) is low $40s.

Only by edge on special, and it was less than $30/5L the last couple of purchases.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
What you stated in your first two posts if I understand it correctly is that by increasing the VI through VIIs oils are being effected on the cold side due to this making the oils thicker at cold temps. Which really is not a desirable result. Plus by virtue of increased VIIs this keeps down the HTHS at the high end which really is not the best either. Maybe if oils could be made in that there are less viscosity index improvers than this would lead to better cold performance at minimum. Plus the added benefit of better high temp performance as well.
Am I on the right track with this? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Pretty close, the VIIs make a thinner base oil thicker, both when it is cold, and when it's hot, to chase a property called "viscosity index", which is basically the slope of the line between the kinematic viscosity at 40 and 100C.

Under high shear rates (bearings and pistons/cylinders), the oil behaves as though it is thinner than it's grade would suggest.

But at the very cold end, the high VII concentration makes it thicker in getting to the pickup than it needs to be.

No way around it if you "need" the high viscosity indices that are "needed" today.

That's what I found interesting about the 0W16 Ravenol...it's a step back to the past.

Yeah that is where my mind went to on this. Made sense to me in what you were stating. Very interesting indeed
smile.gif
I was reading your rather technical post and my lady was wondering what I was reading. I told what and why. To help keep me learning and thinking better in a scientific way. This was definitely good for that
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Read your own opening sentence again.
For me, that is good enough.

Your radical idea for engine oil grades being XW/HTHS takes away a whole lot of in between that just might not matter.

Agreed.
I've been wondering about this for a while now.
I believe It would certainly simplify the whole debate over the relative merits of one oil over another and go to making this forum a little less padded out.

A while back we were using A Harman's shear stability index, which got slagged because people didn't get what it was trying to show.

I suspect some of the confusion resulted from (and continues) the confusion between dynamic and kinematic viscosity.

u=vp where u; is dynamic viscosity, v is kinematic viscosity, and p is density, using appropriate SI units. NB: My Greek symbols made one heck of a mess, so excuse this.

If we're not being picky about units, specific gravity can be used in place of density, since specific gravity on data sheets is always in comparison to water, which has a density of 1 g/cc anyhow, and we all know dividing by 1 g/cc does nothing in these cases, except get rid of the units. So, if one is trying to be mathematically rigorous or carrying on with the calculations into something else, one needs to heed this; you'll wind up with a dog's breakfast of different units.

For our purposes here, it won't matter for a hill of beans. As Shannow pointed out, the calculations work out correctly and you get your ratio in the correct order of magnitude.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

I suspect some of the confusion resulted from (and continues) the confusion between dynamic and kinematic viscosity.

u=vp where u; is dynamic viscosity, v is kinematic viscosity, and p is density, using appropriate SI units. NB: My Greek symbols made one heck of a mess, so excuse this.

If we're not being picky about units, specific gravity can be used in place of density, since specific gravity on data sheets is always in comparison to water, which has a density of 1 g/cc anyhow, and we all know dividing by 1 g/cc does nothing in these cases, except get rid of the units. So, if one is trying to be mathematically rigorous or carrying on with the calculations into something else, one needs to heed this; you'll wind up with a dog's breakfast of different units.

For our purposes here, it won't matter for a hill of beans. As Shannow pointed out, the calculations work out correctly and you get your ratio in the correct order of magnitude.

Yup, I think this was discussed (in detail) in the thread about the index if my memory serves me correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back