Charleston, SC. as a vacation spot?

Trying to figure out a small vacation. Anyone have experiences in that area?

Any and all tips appreciated! Better recommendations welcome as well. (USA only please-have no passport)

The only requirement is an ocean. Taking a little lady along that has never seen one.

I've been all along the East Coast. One thing I liked about the Florida Keys was seeing the morning sunrise and the late evening sunset.
Key West has a large gay community. You may want to look at a calendar of Key West LGBT events if you plan on going there or else a hotel room might be more expensive.

My wife and I had our best beach vacation at Virginia Beach and got a VRBO.

We did it once - great trip …
The history is amazing - beautiful area - great dining - nice museum - overall charm …

The Outer Banks of North Carolina is nicer than mainstream VA Beach since it typically attracts a less rowdy crowd unless it is Spring Break. Check out the Nags Head, Duck, and Corolla area beaches. Great sand dunes and hang gliding near the Wright Brothers Memorial which pays tribute to manned flight. If you are interested in VA Beach, look at the Sandbridge area in addition to the main tourist strip. Great seafood can be found in both areas.

I've been all along the East Coast. One thing I liked about the Florida Keys was seeing the morning sunrise and the late evening sunset.
Key West has a large gay community. You may want to look at a calendar of Key West LGBT events if you plan on going there or else a hotel room might be more expensive.

My wife and I had our best beach vacation at Virginia Beach and got a VRBO.
Appreciate the advice. LAST thing I want to do is Google the gay events! LOL

Can't imagine the stuff popping up on my screen after that! ;)

Isle of Palms, just outside of Charleston, is a great vacation spot.
Yes its awesome my friends family got and a bunch of us stayed at the Citadel alumni house for his sisters graduation from university a of charleston. Imagine 6 guys staying on the beach with the tri phi sorority. I think it took a month to get sober.

Charleston is beautiful and there’s lots to do. Patriot’s Point is where the WWIl aircraft carrier USS Yorktown is anchored and is a marvel to tour. The Plantation Hotel has a great restaurant and is located across the street from the old slave market that is now an open bazaar with local arts and crafts. The locals make some of the most beautiful hand made baskets I have ever seen. Be sure and visit the “battery” area across the river from Ft Sumter.

Charleston is an awesome place to visit. So much history. Old plantations. Fort Sumter. Historic homes. The street market is something worth visiting also.

I can't speak to the beaches at Charleston, as that is not what we went for. Perhaps others can. But you can always stop at Myrtle Beach on the way home. But unless you like all the tourist traps, I personally recommend skipping Myrtle Beach and going to Sunset Beach, NC instead. A lot less crowded. Nowhere near as commercialized. But don't tell the locals I told you this. They like to keep it a secret, so it doesn't end up like Myrtle Beach.

We spent a couple days there. Beautiful city and rich history.

We went on a walking tour of old town, saw Fort Sumpter, went to Magnolia Gardens, and enjoyed the food.

Friendly people, great atmosphere!

As everyone has said, great place to visit. Very historic if you are into that. But also very crowded. Be sure to visit the old market and while there take a buggy tour. My favorite place on the coast is St. Augustine, FL.

Charleston is very interesting, lots of history. Visit Ft. Sumpter. If you want time on a secluded beach go down the road to Kiawah Island. For my money the beaches in North Carolina are the best on the east coast.

I agree with the others, Charleston is a great place and on the beach Isle of the Palms is a great place to stay. We live two hours away and have been there a few times when we first moved here 16 years ago. Haven't stayed there in some time now as we feel we did and saw what we wanted to see. We also stop by for ice cream in the city after going to Folly Beach on the motorcycle for the day.
With that said, it REALLY depends on what you are looking for. Looking for a historic city, city crowds, fine dining and site seeing? Plus of course a beach front hotel on Isle of the palms.
Charleston is the place.

Now I will tell you our favorite place that we go to, every year for what seems like the last 12 years.
We take other vacations as well but for at least 4 nights every year this is our go to chill place. Its great for us to have this less than 3 hours away and as just a getaway place the price is great, I will say this year, post covid things look a little more pricey but I think that is everywhere, still a bargain as far as I am concerned. We even went at the height of Covid in 2020! My brother and sis in law who live very close to N Myrtle Beach thought we were nuts and dangerous, they didnt even want us to come over! *LOL*

We go to this place for the beaches, dinner, boardwalks, Outlet stores, EVERYTHING is within a 15 minute drive, tons to do but a more relaxed but "happening" beach type resort setting which is what we like, and at the same time still has the whole tourist feel, which we love, lots going on but not all crowded like a crammed in feeling but definitely a vacation town feel, this is our type of place/thing for a quick getaway.

We stay in the same resort every year, which is on the beach, in the same "tower" of the resort every year for gosh over a dozen years now? For us its the perfect getaway, price very reasonable. Its right on the beach and if you stay in the NORTH TOWER your room/condo will have a balcony overlooking the ocean and multiple pools.

Since you mention that the purpose of the trip is the beach, this place in on the Atlantic Ocean has it and quite a bit of it, its not sandwiched between hotels like a lot of places but isnt by any means isolated which we love.
Great private parking garage too, your "lady" can watch the ocean waves roll in from your room and whatever else going on outside. Since that would be important to you I would try to stay on or around floor 9, it goes up to 16 floors but a more up close feel, we like around floor 9 but I stress it wont matter to you whatever is available. Make sure its the North Tower if it still available. These are condo like units, we get the one bedroom, has a small kitchen and living eating area and sliding doors to the balcony. Some will be super updated others just nice, clean and functional. Other close buy traditional hotels are the Hilton and Embassy Suites. We walk down the beach every night past them all. We have stayed at the Embassy many years ago too, had a nice room, corner suite.

Ok, enough said, I KNOW my posts are ALWAYS long. *LOL*
The area is NORTH MYRTLE BEACH. Do a search things to do in North Myrtle Beach and of course you can still walk the Boardwalk (barefoot landing too) in N Myrtle as well as Myrtle.
This is the place, we only stay in the North Tower because we know the views, rooms and never been let down.

By the way, we like the North Gulf Coast of Florida (Gulf of Mexico). Destin, we actually have a place booked/rented in the Sandestin Beach and Golf Resort this summer, you may have a challenge getting a beach view room or beach front post covid if you wait much longer.
Sandestin is a tropical feel for sure with awesome blue green color water and sand so fine it crunches like corn powder when you walk on it, a word of caution, we read in the news sometimes (certain years) about cloudy and algae water issues certain time of year in the Northern Gulf, we never ran into it but sometimes its on our minds.
We like this place too, stayed a few times, home emergency caused us to cancel last year but we have a place booked and will be there again in a couple months. Even though we have booked this place, )its always our intention for our other vacation to go to N Myrtle Beach mentioned above two different experiences)
We always stay in Luau at Sandestin with a beach pool view, if you want to be directly on the beach you would need to stay in Beachside 1 or 2. (most likely booked up by now but you never know)

Another option is the Florida Gulf coast is Panama Beach, there is a "newish" Holiday Inn Express on the beach which we liked. Only stayed there once.

Another - St Augustine (Atlantic Ocean) as some one else mentioned, stayed there once, a while ago, just asked the wife, she said it was nice, I cant remember it as vividly as other places other then we liked it. To me if I remember correctly didnt have the same feel as the N Myrtle Beach area but still nice for sure, it all depends what each individual is looking for.

Last edited:
Charleston is a great historic city but our beaches are so much nicer, and Pensacola is also a historic city with lots of sites to visit.

Back