Changing Viscosity--Help Me Choose an Oil

@Tundra73

Wow, you really pussyfoot your truck around if you’re getting 19-20 MPG!
"Pussyfoot" around would imply I drive slower than the posted speed limit, which I do not. I drive the speed limit. If it says 35, 45, 55, 65, or 70. That is what I drive. On my daily drive to work (108 miles round trip), I drive 70 about 70% of the time. The other 30% is 45 for about a mile and then 60 for about 5 miles as the HWY runs through a couple of small towns. Those are the posted speed limits. I get 19-20 mpg. The only time that drops is on very cold, very windy days. Then, I might get around 17 mpg.

@Tundra73
As far as the oil thing, I do think you’re worrying about nothing.

If you had something amiss with the engine (which, the chances of that happening are remote anyway), the only time the dealership is going to question anything related to oil, is if a general visual inspection reveals an obvious deficiency.
I already changed it with Mobil 1 EP 0W-20. I may try the Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 next time. Thanks.

Still has a little chatter, but I noticed at the dealership after starting a few other Tundras that it is common with the 5.7...sounds like a diesel. I am good with it, though.

stuff like this makes me want a Tundra abother 4 runner and a lexus IS 500. lol
My wife really wants a new Ford Bronco, but I’m really trying to talk her into a 4Runner. For what new vehicles cost, I feel that they should last longer and hold their value better than most of them do. I guess this is why I’m a fan of Toyota and Lexus vehicles in general, and the Tundra, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser in particular.

My wife really wants a new Ford Bronco, but I’m really trying to talk her into a 4Runner. For what new vehicles cost, I feel that they should last longer and hold their value better than most of them do. I guess this is why I’m a fan of Toyota and Lexus vehicles in general, and the Tundra, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser in particular.
4Runners and Toyota's hold their value like crazy , but i also think the new Bronco will hold value if not better. I guess it depends on the amount they produce and supply & demand. I have a feeling the demand will far surpass the supply.

Reactions: pbm
Okay. I am going to try 5w30 in my Tundra from the 0w20 after some conversations on the forum about engine wear and longevity.

First, my situation. I have a 2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8. I drive all hwy. The Interstate is right by my house. Monday - Friday, I drive round trip 108 miles each day. It only goes in to the city briefly to get gassed up every Sunday. I will be continuing my 10,000 mile OCI. Truck currently has 40,100 miles on the clock.

Which oil?:

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30. The price difference is only $5.90 between the two for the 5qt jug. I am leaning towards the Valvoline because moly keeps this Tundra quiet and Mobil 1 chatters like crazy.

What say you?

Kirkland 5W30 synthetic for a 10k OCI.

Our new 4Runner does have some valvetrain noise when revved up through the RPM range, though it does seem a little quieter now with the M1-AP 0W-20 than it was with that thin TGMO with lots of viscosity modifiers.

I’d like to try some of the Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 10W-30 (3.3 HTHS) this summer. Should quiet it down some.

Okay. I am going to try 5w30 in my Tundra from the 0w20 after some conversations on the forum about engine wear and longevity.

First, my situation. I have a 2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7 V8. I drive all hwy. The Interstate is right by my house. Monday - Friday, I drive round trip 108 miles each day. It only goes in to the city briefly to get gassed up every Sunday. I will be continuing my 10,000 mile OCI. Truck currently has 40,100 miles on the clock.

Which oil?:

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30. The price difference is only $5.90 between the two for the 5qt jug. I am leaning towards the Valvoline because moly keeps this Tundra quiet and Mobil 1 chatters like crazy.

What say you?
I’ve run M1, PP, QSUD, and Supertech in my 5.7

Which oil?:

What say you?
I’ve tried PP, M1, QSUD, and ST in my 5.7 Tundra. They all the sound the same to me. Switching to 5w30, however, did seem to make the cold startup a bit

Which oil?:

What say you?
I’ve been runnng 5w30 Supertech (or Kirkland) for years. It sounds the same in my 5.7 Tundra as QSUD, M1, or PP. I’ve never tried Valvoline however. 5w30 did seem to be quieter than 0w20. I think. Maybe. Who knows.

user @rummy posted this in another thread but it also lists the 3URFE which is the 5.7L.

You can run 15w-40, 20w-50 in it if you live overseas 😂. No mention of 20 grades.

5C304D4B-EB72-4200-91ED-9F6D578C65AF.jpg

user @rummy posted this in another thread but it also lists the 3URFE which is the 5.7L.

You can run 15w-40, 20w-50 in it if you live overseas 😂. No mention of 20 grades.

View attachment 47588

Not to argue, however extensive research has proved that due to our geographical location, the magnetic field is a constant variable hybrid and clearances and tolerances will adjust accordingly and based on the magnitude of variation and limitation of stress, using xW20 is more suitable!

I had a TRD Pro Tundra, now have 5th gen 4Runner, and would love to have that 5.0 IS sitting next to it.
Probably not going to happen though.:(
My grandad who used to race a 30’s flathead Ford always said, “there is no replacement for displacement” I still Don’t doubt it.

My grandad who used to race a 30’s flathead Ford always said, “there is no replacement for displacement” I still Don’t doubt it.
Except for added "displacement" from ramming air above ATM pressure into the cylinders. :D

Back