Changing Viscosity--Help Me Choose an Oil

One final question. I have been using Mobil 1 EP 0w20. Will going to the Mobil 1 EP 5w30 impact mpg noticeably? While I have been somewhat convinced due to conversations here to try the 5w30 for engine longevity, I get around 19-20mpg with my Tundra now...I'd hate to lose that...

One final question. I have been using Mobil 1 EP 0w20. Will going to the Mobil 1 EP 5w30 impact mpg noticeably? While I have been somewhat convinced due to conversations here to try the 5w30 for engine longevity, I get around 19-20mpg with my Tundra now...I'd hate to lose that...
I doubt you'll be able to measure the fuel economy difference between the two grades. Even if you could winter is not the time of the year to be calculating mpg for most people in the USA. EP 5W30 imo is a very good oil choice.

You are not going to see a difference in longevity and you are not going to see a difference in fuel economy. But do what you think you must.

Doubt it.

@Astro14 has reported that he runs PUP 5W-30 in his 5.7 Tundra with no economy penalty.

I am getting nervous, Guys. I have the extended warranty through my dealership and I am afraid if I don’t run 0w20 and there is a problem, I might get in the weeds on this.

I think I am just going to stick with Mobil 1 EP 0w20.

I really do appreciate all of the comments, and I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. Thanks a lot.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all comments. I think I am going to go with Mobil 1 EP.

We did not expect that resolution! :ROFLMAO: not that it's a bad oil ... EP is one of my favorite oils but your "chatters like crazy" comment!

btw, you are getting 19-20 mpg with 5.7L V8 Tundra? Never heard of that. Are you going by what the computer display says? I would ignore that if that's the case.
14-16 mpg is the norm when NOT towing. Do you drive downhill all the time?

Last edited:
We did not expect that resolution! :ROFLMAO: not that it's a bad oil ... EP is one of my favorite oils but your "chatters like crazy" comment!

btw, you are getting 19-20 mpg with 5.7L V8 Tundra? Never heard of that. Are you going by what the computer display says? I would ignore that if that's the case.
14-16 mpg is the norm when NOT towing. Do you drive downhill all the time?
Hand calculated. I drive the speed limit and I don't dog it. Easy to get 19-20 driving the speed limit with the Tundra.

Hand calculated. I drive the speed limit and I don't dog it. Easy to get 19-20 driving the speed limit with the Tundra.

I'm getting 15mpg average with my Tundra. 13-14 if I idle much longer and/or much more city driving ... I don't drive hard but I will try to drive easier and see what happens.
I just love the sound of the engine when I step on it.

off the top of your head do you know how much moly it's got?
Here's an VOA a while back and it shows 66 ppm of Moly. Don't know if there's a newer VOA, or if the formulation has changed with the GF-6 brew.

Edit - I just scanned the VOA forum and didn't seen any newer VOA on VAS in 5W-30 flavor.

Would probably hurt his fuel economy considering he’s driving 100 miles a day. It’s like 20% thicker than the M1 5w-30 EP. Factor in the recent “wonderful” spike in gas prices and it might be better to stick with a thinner oil.

Right, a luxury oil, extra .65 cents a month.

Right, a luxury oil, extra .65 cents a month.
imho, mpg should be the last thing to be concerned about if you buy an old style MPFI 5.7L V8 ...
iirc, my sticker showed: 15 mpg (13 City 17 Highway). If Tundra had a DI engine, I would be driving something else or an older model. I'm glad they are still MPFI.

imho, mpg should be the last thing to be concerned about if you buy an old style MPFI 5.7L V8 ...
iirc, my sticker showed: 15 mpg (13 City 17 Highway). If Tundra had a DI engine, I would be driving something else or an older model. I'm glad they are still MPFI.
That’s exactly why I bought my 2020 Tundra. No turbos, direct injection, or cylinder deactivation. They run forever if you take care of them. One of the million mile Tundras was supposedly run on 5w20 M1 at 10k intervals since new. No consumption issues. Hard to argue against using that.

It really is up to you and what makes you comfortable. If Mobil is noisy then use Valvoline. I don't think you will see too much negative effect on mileage going to a 5W30.

I've been a Mobil guy for the last ~20 years. I switched from Castrol & Valvoline due to my long commute like you. Mobil went in everything I owned until I discovered BITOG. I was always curious about "cheaper" oil like Super Tech but didn't really want to try it, "cheap" oil can't be any good right...? After reading several posts on here and UOA I tried 5W30 ST HM in our 2005 Jeep, I figured what the heck... I also put it in my Deere LT150 when I changed the oil in the fall. I guess as I have gotten older, I mean wiser, I have realized there are little to NO engine failures due to oil if someone selects the proper ratings, so why not save a few bucks along the way. My new philosophy is to buy the least expensive oil that meets or exceeds the requirements of the engine... I like to refer to this as best value for the dollar.

Just my $0.02

That’s exactly why I bought my 2020 Tundra. No turbos, direct injection, or cylinder deactivation. They run forever if you take care of them. One of the million mile Tundras was supposedly run on 5w20 M1 at 10k intervals since new. No consumption issues. Hard to argue against using that.
stuff like this makes me want a Tundra abother 4 runner and a lexus IS 500. lol

@Tundra73

Wow, you really pussyfoot your truck around if you’re getting 19-20 MPG!

Unfortunately I’m impatient, and, as a result, get 14-16 MPG in my Tacoma, and 16-18 MPG when I’m driving my wife’s 4Runner.

As far as the oil thing, I do think you’re worrying about nothing.

If you had something amiss with the engine (which, the chances of that happening are remote anyway), the only time the dealership is going to question anything related to oil, is if a general visual inspection reveals an obvious deficiency.

For example, they check the dipstick and it’s below the low mark, or, they pull a valve cover and there’s sludge, indicating neglect.

And, just the fact that you’re concerned enough with maintenance that youre a member here at BITOG, tells me that you’re probably not going to let your oil level drop anywhere close to the low mark. And you’re probably going to use a very good quality synthetic oil.

Valvoline for my decision and 5,000 mile oil changes.
Considering the threadstarter's two 5W-30 oils, I agree. Go w/ Valvoline Advanced Syn and accomplish 5,000 OCI's.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance can accomplish 10K-mile OCI's, though I don't believe in extending oils for long of a period. I'm not into sending off oil to a lab just to verify or justify extended OCI's.

Considering the threadstarter's two 5W-30 oils, I agree. Go w/ Valvoline Advanced Syn and accomplish 5,000 OCI's.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance can accomplish 10K-mile OCI's, though I don't believe in extending oils for long of a period. I'm not into sending off oil to a lab just to verify or justify extended OCI's.
Most people who send used oil samples off to the lab dont do it just to justify extended OCI’s.

For most, it’s sort of a hobby also.

Back